New restrictions

Since the new restrictions were announced today for pa, how will esmark and ppe run their current showcases ? Players will need a negative covid test to enter pa. I just don’t see how this is going to work. Esmark’s showcase starts this Friday, I’m assuming most teams will travel in Thursday night, today is Tuesday. 

looking further, it appears PA is now on most states travel ban restrictions.

Hey everyone just a heads up - it sounds like the little guards that cover up the breathing holes on helmets count as "masks" in some rinks and not in others, very inconsistent. Better stick with one that attaches to the helmet or just a regular one or at least have one handy in case a ref tried to enforce the new rules. 

45 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

So what makes a Ref have to enforce the mask? Is he going to give a penalty for no mask? Stop play and send the kid to the bench to get his mask? What happens if a mask falls off while they are playing?  Will they stop play right away? Might be a good way to get a break in the action!!!

Officials will not be addressing masks at all. It is up to the associations, coaches, team managers, and players. If someone does not have a mask on, we will not say a word; the opposing team/organization can then reach out to the league.

• Fist Bump 1

10 minutes ago, TheRightCall said:

Officials will not be addressing masks at all. It is up to the associations, coaches, team managers, and players. If someone does not have a mask on, we will not say a word; the opposing team/organization can then reach out to the league.

I was hoping you would say that.  Refs have enough to handle without that problem.  Hopefully everyone that wants to play will monitor their own players. Then again there is the medical exemption as well.  I'm thinking it will be strictly on the honor system.

1 hour ago, hockeyisgreat said:

I was hoping you would say that.  Refs have enough to handle without that problem.  Hopefully everyone that wants to play will monitor their own players. Then again there is the medical exemption as well.  I'm thinking it will be strictly on the honor system.

Likely--it is going to be difficult enough trying to communicate with players. Since it is not a USA Hockey rule, the responsibility lies with the organizations. Many officials have decided not to skate because of the mask mandate.

• 100 1

2 hours ago, TheRightCall said:

While that might be true in practice, the email PAHL sent out said referees would be in charge of enforcement.  Guess we will see this weekend. 

34 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

While that might be true in practice, the email PAHL sent out said referees would be in charge of enforcement.  Guess we will see this weekend. 

PAHL email stated that associations are in charge of enforcing it for their own teams and that referees will have to wear them since they follow PA mandates.

I Just talked with two old (local) ref buddies. Both are hanging up the skates until covid is over. Neither wants to deal with wearing a mask while trying to communicate with players & coaches. Neither wants it on their hands if someone gets hurt out there. There is a lot of communication between refs and players, Both feel the games are going to get out of control very easily. 

Edited by Danner27

1 hour ago, hockeyparent101 said:

As one referee said to me prior to our game earlier this season in Michigan (with the mask mandate): "Listen, I'm here to ref the game.  I'm not the mask police."

In Michigan this year....kids wore them as extra chin straps,  just to have them "on"

• Fist Bump 1

4 hours ago, HereWithPopcorn said:

PAHL email stated that associations are in charge of enforcing it for their own teams and that referees will have to wear them since they follow PA mandates.

I hope you are right. I agree the original PAHL email did say that. It was communicated verbally to our team that the refs would stop the game if masks were not worn. No idea if true. 

19 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

Hey everyone just a heads up - it sounds like the little guards that cover up the breathing holes on helmets count as "masks" in some rinks and not in others, very inconsistent. Better stick with one that attaches to the helmet or just a regular one or at least have one handy in case a ref tried to enforce the new rules. 

When these things come out, it’s always made to sound like it’s going to be some drastic change but give it a week or two and see how it’s actually enforced. 

The PIHL has basically put it on the organizations to enforce.

“It is each Member Association’s responsibility to make sure its players and coaches are aware of this Face Coverings Policy and to disseminate within its organization any changes in this policy.
It is also each Member Association’s responsibility to require compliance with this Face Coverings Policy at all PIHL sanctioned events by its coaching staff and players to ensure the safety of the players, coaches, their families and the general public.”

So what happens when one team is wearing them and the other isn’t? The refs aren’t enforcing it (which I agree with). The game coordinators should have some responsibility in this. There is absolutely no guidance on what to do if the opposing team isn’t in compliance. It also should not be the responsibility of the rink to police this. I see this getting ignored and getting ugly. 

3 minutes ago, Ynot02 said:

The PIHL has basically put it on the organizations to enforce.

“It is each Member Association’s responsibility to make sure its players and coaches are aware of this Face Coverings Policy and to disseminate within its organization any changes in this policy.
It is also each Member Association’s responsibility to require compliance with this Face Coverings Policy at all PIHL sanctioned events by its coaching staff and players to ensure the safety of the players, coaches, their families and the general public.”

So what happens when one team is wearing them and the other isn’t? The refs aren’t enforcing it (which I agree with). The game coordinators should have some responsibility in this. There is absolutely no guidance on what to do if the opposing team isn’t in compliance. It also should not be the responsibility of the rink to police this. I see this getting ignored and getting ugly. 

Because just like the pa government, they can not force players to wear mask, so for liability reasons they send out an email stating the leagues position. It’s been proven people are getting bacteria infections from wearing a mask to long, hockey players are going to be wearing wet masks. 

2 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Because just like the pa government, they can not force players to wear mask, so for liability reasons they send out an email stating the leagues position. It’s been proven people are getting bacteria infections from wearing a mask to long, hockey players are going to be wearing wet masks. 

Bacteria infections from wearing a mask too long? It’s been proven? If you’re going to make that claim, provide a reputable source please. It’s interesting how healthcare workers have survived all these years from the bacterial infections.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

That would make for some interesting reading, Benji.  Can you post a link supporting your claim that hockey players will be getting bacterial infections for wearing a "wet mask?"

Doctors and nurses wear masks for 8-12 hr shifts, a tad more than hockey players do in a 75 minute ice slot.  But I am open minded and look forward to reading more about this.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ynot02 said:

I guess I expect that this mask thing, like everything else, will work itself out after a few weeks of playing under it (assuming we get a few weeks of playing), but this is a fair question. It's likely that enforcement of the mask mandate will vary widely between teams. How do you force your players to play at a disadvantage if the other team has a large number of players not wearing masks, medical excuse or not? 

I really think this will turn out to be no big deal, like it did in Michigan, but there are concerns. Hopefully coaches will try to comply.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Honestly it's becoming so tiresome to read posts on this board that its value as a discussion forum is practically nil.

• Like 1
  • Fist Bump 1

7 minutes ago, Lifelongbender said:

I guess I expect that this mask thing, like everything else, will work itself out after a few weeks of playing under it (assuming we get a few weeks of playing), but this is a fair question. It's likely that enforcement of the mask mandate will vary widely between teams. How do you force your players to play at a disadvantage if the other team has a large number of players not wearing masks, medical excuse or not? 

I really think this will turn out to be no big deal, like it did in Michigan, but there are concerns. Hopefully coaches will try to comply.

I completely agree. Hopefully there is compliance, but I have my doubts. If there isn’t compliance, count on hockey getting shutdown in PA like so many other states. 

11 minutes ago, Ynot02 said:

I completely agree. Hopefully there is compliance, but I have my doubts. If there isn’t compliance, count on hockey getting shutdown in PA like so many other states. 

I expect it to get shut down no matter what, but mask compliance will be one of the stated reasons when it does.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

1 hour ago, fafa fohi said:

That would make for some interesting reading, Benji.  Can you post a link supporting your claim that hockey players will be getting bacterial infections for wearing a "wet mask?"

Doctors and nurses wear masks for 8-12 hr shifts, a tad more than hockey players do in a 75 minute ice slot.  But I am open minded and look forward to reading more about this.

PSAC sports practices cannot be held when it is raining due to the ineffectiveness of masks when wet. 

• Like 1