USA Hockey Nationals

14 minutes ago, Lifelongbender said:

I figure making it to Nationals Quarterfinals is a success in and of itself. We all know how fashionable it is to hate PE, but that's still doing pretty well.

Let's not forget PPE teams that do not win Midams usually get an at-large bid to attend Nationals.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sadday4hockey said:

Losing 6-3 in the QF's is a success? For The Chosen team? With all those years of Excel Academy training? The best facility. The best coaching. All the other hoopla and kool-aid.

That's not a very high standard.

For once I agree with you.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fafa fohi said:

Let's not forget PPE teams that do not win Midams usually get an at-large bid to attend Nationals.  

For Steel City to get to the QF's at Nationals really isn't a success at Tier 2 when you pretty much consider they are the only game in town and go by default to Nationals. 

16U didn't even have a District tournament to win, and at 14U and 19U it was smooth sailing against PAHL teams and other lesser teams.  

hey popcorn... Do some meaningful research before you start spouting shit outa your pie hole! A couple years ago (2017 maybe?) I looked at the historical girls hockey registration numbers for all of USAH for the previous 10 years. Mid-Am historically ranks very near the bottom in total girls registration numbers by district and might be dead last at the National bound levels when compared to all of the other USAH Districts. Add to it that Mid-Am's numbers are spread across 5 states..... and just maybe you can see why there are not that many teams to compete against. If I remember correctly, if you strictly enforced the age brackets - you would have enough players for maybe 8 full rosters at each level u14, u16, and u19 across those 5 states. NOT 8 equally competitive rosters, JUST 8 teams across 5 states. SO don't spout that horseshit line that they didn't have to beat anyone to get there. They truly were a collection of 20 of the best players in the district at the age level.... you cannot ask for more than that. THEY BEAT TEAMS WHEN THEY GOT THERE AND THAT IS WHAT COUNTS! 

Bitch all you want about the boys and the "faux 3a teams" but DO NOT belittle the effort and accomplishments of these girls. They are competing very well against some very good competition from Michigan and the NorthEast! Going into this years Nationals the SCS U14's were ranked #6, the U16's were #13, and the U19's were #29 - the 7th lowest seed of 24 teams per MHR and still they managed to make a very impressive run. 

Oh, and that U16 team that you said didn't even have to win a game in districts lost the damn NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME BY ONE GOAL

Edited by GrumpyOldPucker
added info about the SCS U16 team that popcorn chose to insult
  • Like 1
  • Fist Bump 1

9 hours ago, GrumpyOldPucker said:

hey popcorn... Do some meaningful research before you start spouting shit outa your pie hole! A couple years ago (2017 maybe?) I looked at the historical girls hockey registration numbers for all of USAH for the previous 10 years. Mid-Am historically ranks very near the bottom in total girls registration numbers by district and might be dead last at the National bound levels when compared to all of the other USAH Districts. Add to it that Mid-Am's numbers are spread across 5 states..... and just maybe you can see why there are not that many teams to compete against. If I remember correctly, if you strictly enforced the age brackets - you would have enough players for maybe 8 full rosters at each level u14, u16, and u19 across those 5 states. NOT 8 equally competitive rosters, JUST 8 teams across 5 states. SO don't spout that horseshit line that they didn't have to beat anyone to get there. They truly were a collection of 20 of the best players in the district at the age level.... you cannot ask for more than that. THEY BEAT TEAMS WHEN THEY GOT THERE AND THAT IS WHAT COUNTS! 

Bitch all you want about the boys and the "faux 3a teams" but DO NOT belittle the effort and accomplishments of these girls. They are competing very well against some very good competition from Michigan and the NorthEast! Going into this years Nationals the SCS U14's were ranked #6, the U16's were #13, and the U19's were #29 - the 7th lowest seed of 24 teams per MHR and still they managed to make a very impressive run. 

Oh, and that U16 team that you said didn't even have to win a game in districts lost the damn NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME BY ONE GOAL

The data that you provided about potentially having only 8 teams across 5 states proves the point that they didn't have to beat anyone to get there, so thanks!  Also factual is that they aren't the 20 best players in the District at that age level because that would omit all of the girls playing at Tier 1 with PPE, Culver, Gilmour, etc.

What I will give them credit for as an organization is that they have found a financial niche.  Don't compete against the Tier 1 girls, but build super teams at the next level where they know that they will automatically be better than anyone else in their area.  Then you can sell going to Nationals every year to the parents and kids as a faux accomplishment.

And finally, lets not forget that with the U16 team, yes they did win their QF and SF games, but it was only some bogus format that allowed them to be in that position after initially going 0-3.  And then lost to a team in the championship that is a fall league team that hadn't played since October.

10 hours ago, GrumpyOldPucker said:

THEY BEAT TEAMS WHEN THEY GOT THERE AND THAT IS WHAT COUNTS! 

Hmmm, the U16 team advanced after going 0-3 in pool play while Bay State went 1-1-0-1 with four points in a different division and did not advance.  Sounds reasonable to me.

54 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

Hmmm, the U16 team advanced after going 0-3 in pool play while Bay State went 1-1-0-1 with four points in a different division and did not advance.  Sounds reasonable to me.

Why can't you all just be happy that we have a successful Tier II girls program in the area.  They seem to be competitive on the national level and there are still people willing to put them down.  Just the same as you all calling any AAA programs outside of PPE a money grab and Faux.  Also even bashing PPE for their model and not having strictly local talent. Sounds to me like there are a lot of butt hurt jealous people out there. 

13 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Why can't you all just be happy that we have a successful Tier II girls program in the area.  They seem to be competitive on the national level and there are still people willing to put them down.  Just the same as you all calling any AAA programs outside of PPE a money grab and Faux.  Also even bashing PPE for their model and not having strictly local talent. Sounds to me like there are a lot of butt hurt jealous people out there. 

What is wrong with my statement?  I simply challenged the format of the tournament and how an 0-3 team could advance while another team couldn't that had a better record and more points while teams in the same division did not play each other in pool play to help determine who in fact should advance.  

I think it is great the girls program is growing and teams are successful but let's keep things in perspective.

Edited by fafa fohi

It is crappy to denigrate the accomplishment. It seems better to root for our local teams when they compete at such levels, PPE or whoever. The players can't be faulted for the lack of competition or how the tournament is set up.

I root for whoever goes up because it suggests this area is developing talent. 

I have lots of complaints about faux AAA teams, but I will be more than happy to root for them if they compete at the national level. Because maybe then they aren't so faux anymore. When that happens.

6 hours ago, HSFBLJ said:

Go check D-1 rosters, you will find some PPE kids.  You don,t see kids fom other organizations.  

Go check the NHL rosters/minors/drafts there are exactly 0000 kids from PPE but there are 3 from Esmark. 

9 hours ago, Pucks11 said:

Go check the NHL rosters/minors/drafts there are exactly 0000 kids from PPE but there are 3 from Esmark. 

I just took a quick look at elite prospects. Esmark shows nobody that has made it to the echl, ahl or nhl. PPE has a handful that made it to the echl. 

The Hornets lead in this category ?

Edited by Danner27

PPE should start to see some players placed soon. Organizationally they are still young.  2012 was the first year they had teams.  The Hornets had years to build and see results.  Back then they were the only "top" team in town.  Say what you want about PPE but they are the best team in town.  If your kid is/was a true superstar would you not just move to a hockey town?  Chicago, Detroit or Minnesota?

• Like 1

I decided to stick this in here rather than start a new thread. MidAm development camp for 2004s and 2005s held this past weekend in Sylvania.

10 2005s going on to Team USA main camp: 6 forwards, 3 defense, 1 goalie. 5 of the 10 total from PPE, none from other Pittsburgh teams. (I do not have a kid on PPE, just stating the numbers)

10 2004s going: 5 forwards, 3 defense, 2 goalies. I don't know this birth year as well and I'm too lazy to look up their teams.

Link: https://www.midamhockey.com/page/show/4649558-home

1 hour ago, Loach said:

I decided to stick this in here rather than start a new thread. MidAm development camp for 2004s and 2005s held this past weekend in Sylvania.

10 2005s going on to Team USA main camp: 6 forwards, 3 defense, 1 goalie. 5 of the 10 total from PPE, none from other Pittsburgh teams. (I do not have a kid on PPE, just stating the numbers)

10 2004s going: 5 forwards, 3 defense, 2 goalies. I don't know this birth year as well and I'm too lazy to look up their teams.

Link: https://www.midamhockey.com/page/show/4649558-home

Of the 49 players named to the USA Hockey National Team Development Evaluation Camp for 05’s, only one is coming from hockey hotbed western PA and played for PPE.  

https://www.usahockeyntdp.com/news_article/show/1160303?fbclid=IwAR3PXVFKMAc0oYgY7ATLVNF7z3Cfk4V5r_dKeJHStU_4t1tGoANwBkbB6F0

15 hours ago, fafa fohi said:

Of the 49 players named to the USA Hockey National Team Development Evaluation Camp for 05’s, only one is coming from hockey hotbed western PA and played for PPE.  

https://www.usahockeyntdp.com/news_article/show/1160303?fbclid=IwAR3PXVFKMAc0oYgY7ATLVNF7z3Cfk4V5r_dKeJHStU_4t1tGoANwBkbB6F0

How many would you be happy with?  Who said Western PA is a hockey hotbed anyway?  Is that the way it should be in your mind? If so that's great but I think any representation in the selected best 49 in the country from our little section of Western Pa is great!  There are too many people on here who are salty for whatever reason about Western Pa Hockey! I don't understand!

• Fist Bump 1

56 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

How many would you be happy with?  Who said Western PA is a hockey hotbed anyway?  Is that the way it should be in your mind? If so that's great but I think any representation in the selected best 49 in the country from our little section of Western Pa is great!  There are too many people on here who are salty for whatever reason about Western Pa Hockey! I don't understand!

You must be new here.

There are a lot of people on this forum that firmly believe western PA rivals other hotbed hockey markets, which clearly it doesn't.  Have you looked at a PPE roster lately?  More and more kids are imports from out of state and word is with recent PPE tryouts many local kids from last years teams got cut and are looking at other options.  Vengeance, Lebo, Preds are all comprised of local players yet those teams can't compete with PPE...........I wonder why? 

I am not salty about anything, just stating facts.   

• Like 1

I don't know that anyone on here really refutes that. The issue is how they go about their way of getting to that position.

14 hours ago, BeaverFalls said:

These pop-up teams otherwise?  Not so much. 

So what would you suggest that the players who fall in this category do? Take the recently completed 15U tryouts. A handful of local players who have played there for 6 years have been replaced by players from all over the US and Canada. Is your contention that these players have no reason to continue their pursuit of high level hockey because the PPE and its' associates prioritize profits over everything?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

I don't know that anyone on here really refutes that. The issue is how they go about their way of getting to that position.

So what would you suggest that the players who fall in this category do? Take the recently completed 15U tryouts. A handful of local players who have played there for 6 years have been replaced by players from all over the US and Canada. Is your contention that these players have no reason to continue their pursuit of high level hockey because the PPE and its' associates prioritize profits over everything?

This is not my opinion, but I'm willing to bet the response will be "play PAHL AA".

• 100 1

32 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

You must be new here.

There are a lot of people on this forum that firmly believe western PA rivals other hotbed hockey markets, which clearly it doesn't.  Have you looked at a PPE roster lately?  More and more kids are imports from out of state and word is with recent PPE tryouts many local kids from last years teams got cut and are looking at other options.  Vengeance, Lebo, Preds are all comprised of local players yet those teams can't compete with PPE...........I wonder why? 

I am not salty about anything, just stating facts.   

Actually I have as many posts on here as you do.  I look at all the posts and haven't seen where anyone believes that western Pa is a hockey hotbed. They do complain a lot about PPE and I can understand why. I also understand that PPE wants the best team they can field. If they are importing kids it must mean that they are doing something right or doing a good sales job to bring them in. If they are better than the local kids so be it.  There are a lot of other programs that those local kids can go to. Maybe they will make them stronger to the point that they can compete with PPE. Whats wrong with that?  The local AAA, AA teams should be stronger with the trickle down of PPE players. Whats wrong with that?  Anyway who is getting rich from the so called money grabs?