New Semi Pro team in Pittsburgh

I never understood "Semi Pro" ? Does this mean the players are paid?

And who are the perspective players? I assume it can't be junior age players or potential college players. So it must be aged out players with no other options besides Beer League?

And who are the perspective fans? I know beer league is lucky to have 1 or 2 mostly disinterested girlfriends per night.  Maybe I'm wrong but is it a high level of play that would attract area fans?

Doing the math not sure how feasible this is...

Using info from the site. Each player gets ~$150/week and the season is 24 weeks. Each team will sign 30 players. $108,000 for players alone. 24 Home Games Per Season at $5 ticket. Need 900 fans per game to pay players.

Edited by JerryTime

THIS Jaison Kelly?! 😂

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wpxi.com/news/local/ag-shapiro-files-lawsuit-against-pittsburgh-area-car-dealership/PLXFYP4PD5BSNANDBY33FYFA6E/%3foutputType=amp

Would almost have to be, I can't see there being many Jaison Kelly's around here with that name spelling. 

If it is, the guys a stooge and a conman. If I was a player, I'd make sure to get my money upfront. 

• Like 1
  • 100 1

33 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

THIS Jaison Kelly?! 😂

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wpxi.com/news/local/ag-shapiro-files-lawsuit-against-pittsburgh-area-car-dealership/PLXFYP4PD5BSNANDBY33FYFA6E/%3foutputType=amp

Would almost have to be, I can't see there being many Jaison Kelly's around here with that name spelling. 

If it is, the guys a stooge and a conman. If I was a player, I'd make sure to get my money upfront. 

Same Jaison Kelly. Definitely something sketchy when he is involved.

7 hours ago, JerryTime said:

Doing the math not sure how feasible this is...

Using info from the site. Each player gets ~$150/week and the season is 24 weeks. Each team will sign 30 players. $108,000 for players alone. 24 Home Games Per Season at $5 ticket. Need 900 fans per game to pay players.

See below.  Daddy throws 20k at the team per player and suddenly they are in the green and little Johnny gets to tell everyone he played for a check. 

1 hour ago, forbin said:

From what I can tell it’s full contact traveling beer league? I really don’t understand the draw to that from a player or a fan perspective but to each their own I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️.

I guess if you are playing beer league now and can get paid $150/game vs a 6-pack it is compelling. From a fan perspective.... I've got nothing.... 

Why not just go to a Pitt/RMU/Nailers game if you want to watch competitive non-pro or semi-pro hockey? 

If they're getting paid $150/week, that doesn't even cover the travel... or does this simpleton think he's going to cover those costs, too? 

This makes no sense. 

Or is this a scam to get sponsorships, close up when there's no money to continue, and keep the change? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

If your parents throw in 10k a piece (likely less then they are paying for faux AAA at lower levels)  a couple sponsorships get you all the ice you need and your parents might even save money based on travel + whatever they were doing before. 

According to their website, which I can't figure out the math...all they pay for is exhibition and housing (so id assume no one is moving for this, so Pittsburgh players)

Earn around $150-$250 per week in salary

Travel (transportation, food and lodging) provided 

Zero fees, other than during the exhibition season ($20 per skate)

Up to 4 uniform sets 

Maximum of playing and practicing 3 days a week

Games played during the weekends

Bonuses awarded for performance, playoff wins and team sales 

Detailed stat tracking, will be on Elite Prospects 

All games filmed and live-streamed 

All-Star Game, Stadium Game, Outdoor game and International Game

25 skater spots and 3 goalie spots on every team

Up to 20 teams in the league 

Region heavy travel