You might be a delusional hockey parent

8 hours ago, Nepotisim_anyone said:

Name them. Most are just walking around trying to relive their youth as they never amounted to much. I can even think of one just running Daddy’s business and still thinks he’s going somewhere & is full of empty promises. 

No need to name them. They don’t need to be dragged into it. But I don’t think you are thinking of the same coaches as me. As neither one works for their Daddy’s company and neither have any delusions of their continued hockey careers. Thanks for guessing, wrong. 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Don't know the Pens Coaches but I would have to say that Yuri & Kosick at Esmark have to be doing something right as their 16 & 18U teams are consistently competitive and beat the Pens sometimes.  The coach of the 06 independent SHAHA AAA team might have been the best of the bunch.  Not sure of his name but b put together really good teams up to last year.

I think the 18U Esmark team has 8 or 9 kids tendered to Junior teams!

And this program has moved some players to the NCAA D1.

On 5/8/2024 at 2:01 PM, hockeyisgreat said:

Don't know the Pens Coaches but I would have to say that Yuri & Kosick at Esmark have to be doing something right as their 16 & 18U teams are consistently competitive and beat the Pens sometimes.  The coach of the 06 independent SHAHA AAA team might have been the best of the bunch.  Not sure of his name but b put together really good teams up to last year.

I think the 18U Esmark team has 8 or 9 kids tendered to Junior teams!

He is doing something right, plucking hockey players off the front lines in Kharkiv and bring them to New Kensington!

Yes those tenders are great for those guys, but their t1 league is tied to the Nahl, so teams have to invite a number of players. I'd be curious how many make a team, I don't know the answer.

6 hours ago, zam said:

He is doing something right, plucking hockey players off the front lines in Kharkiv and bring them to New Kensington!

Yes those tenders are great for those guys, but their t1 league is tied to the Nahl, so teams have to invite a number of players. I'd be curious how many make a team, I don't know the answer.

tenders are nothing more the a invite to main camp and that team owns your rights for the season coming up. 90 percent of them dot make the tendered nahl team anyways they end up in ncdc or na3 or usphl 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2024 at 12:42 PM, BACKCHECKING said:

Pens are the only option for good AAA coaching in Pittsburgh. Esmark has become ghetto and trashy since CJ started coaching.  Vengeance once again lost half of their roster to Esmark and Predators due to a narcissistic dad coach. Predators lost all their top players because of coaching / assistant coaching decisions. The lack of coaching leadership of both teams caused the fight.

10’s parents should take note from of the 09’s and ask the question why Esmark and Vengeance can’t field 09 teams anymore.

This statement is not all true, and a hard statement to follow. 

The true statement is there is no good coaches anymore!

You think pens is where the good coaching is because they have a better record but they have a better record because they have the more developed kids. They have the more developed kids because a lot of them have the money to do extra lessons or fly their kid to Pittsburgh to live with the raw talent the kid has. 

Also it all depends on what you mean by coaching? Vaping on the bench? Sleeping with the parents? Lying to kids to get them to your team to not play them? Taking 20 kids on a midget team to not play half of them? Skills and drills on the side to make a living? 

7 hours ago, Whyyyy said:

The true statement is there is no good coaches anymore!

Wow, I guess we should all just get out of Hockey!  Try to talk our kids into a different sport and just shut it down in South Western Pa.

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 2:01 PM, hockeyisgreat said:

The coach of the 06 independent SHAHA AAA team might have been the best of the bunch.  Not sure of his name but b put together really good teams up to last year.

*Paul Taibi

Edited by Rewster
Edited for content

• 3 weeks later...

Talked to a guy yesterday, his 6 yd is going to 4 hockey camps this summer. I asked him if his son plays deck hockey too. He said he doesn’t have time for it because his son is on the ice 5-6 days a week. What is the correct way to let this guy know he is hurting his son? 

33 minutes ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

Talked to a guy yesterday, his 6 yd is going to 4 hockey camps this summer. I asked him if his son plays deck hockey too. He said he doesn’t have time for it because his son is on the ice 5-6 days a week. What is the correct way to let this guy know he is hurting his son? 

This is absurd. This kid should be out playing with friends and experiencing other sports such as soccer, baseball, lacrosse, etc. Maybe level with him and see if there are any solid articles that detail the benefits of diversifying one's life at such a young age.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, TheRightCall said:

This is absurd. This kid should be out playing with friends and experiencing other sports such as soccer, baseball, lacrosse, etc. Maybe level with him and see if there are any solid articles that detail the benefits of diversifying one's life at such a young age.

Nah don't bother. Those folks don't want to hear it. If anything, just say what you do with your own kid because of your own concern with burn out etc and then let it go.

• Like 3
  • 100 1

17 minutes ago, Saucey said:

Nah don't bother. Those folks don't want to hear it. If anything, just say what you do with your own kid because of your own concern with burn out etc and then let it go.

Agreed. They won't listen anyway and some programs encourage that crap so it's a waste of your time. 

• Like 1

Probably the best way to handle it is to mind your own business. Let him raise his kids the way he sees fit.  I don't know why everyone is concerned about how much hockey someone plays. If he gets burnt out or loses interest, so be it. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, zam said:

Probably the best way to handle it is to mind your own business. Let him raise his kids the way he sees fit.  I don't know why everyone is concerned about how much hockey someone plays. If he gets burnt out or loses interest, so be it. 

The concern is for the kid. That much hockey isn’t good for him at age six, mentally or physically. It will hurt him in some way. But getting burnt out or losing interest isn’t my concern. I will mind my own business because I agree that I probably won’t make a difference. 

16 hours ago, Saucey said:

Agree but where are the “coaches” telling them to avoid doing this to their kid?  Oh that’s right too busy collecting money off these kids as they provide the 5-6 private sessions per week.   They know it’s insanity but if it avoids getting a real job like some of these guys fail to do.  I’m not opposed to paying a coach but there’s a few trying to make a living off of promising parents like that guy mentioned above so here we are.  

ice hockey here is a sort of a hypocrisy.  Don’t play year round but those involved in rink management encourage it to keep the doors open.  Don’t burn your kid out but hey line my pockets 4-6 times per week.  

And if some of these spring hockey teams say it’s extra beneficial ice time in the off season guess again!   No practice.  No instruction.  Just games!   

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2024 at 9:54 AM, zam said:

Right…unless the guy is asking for an opinion (or asking if he would offer his firsthand knowledge and experience as an expert on minor/amateur youth hockey). I’d suggest that the best approach is to not give unilateral advice. Frankly, this point should not be assumed and glossed over as it rings true in a lot of facets of life.

With that being said, I find it hard to believe that a 6 year-old has enough foresight and understanding of what their actual goals are and the commitment that is required for any of it to move along on a scale that is appropriate for a kindergartner’s age level of understanding. Not to mention, this is coupled with the obvious role where the “yes” parent is going along with the 6 year-olds wishes without any pause to contemplate anyone’s future. For a parent to knowingly accommodate all of these wishes made by a 6 year-old child; it demonstrates a slew of red flags…none of which appear more obvious than the parent’s lack of a restraining governor.

I’ll admit that I’m making several assumptions in this case (i. e. child’s age being truly 6 years old; the lack of an occasionally oppositional parent AND THEIR involvement (or really anyone with a backbone that’s willing to simply say “no” to the child and parent). It’s easy for me to draw such a straw man’s analogy with obvious labels.

Regardless, just going off a fraction of what has been described thus far…this is still nothing short of a parent acting as an enabler of the child. It’s a disservice on many levels.

Edited by Rewster
More gooder English

4 hours ago, Rewster said:

Right…unless the guy is asking for an opinion (or asking if he would offer his firsthand knowledge and experience as an expert on minor/amateur youth hockey). I’d suggest that the best approach is to not give unilateral advice. Frankly, this point should not be assumed and glossed over as it rings true in a lot of facets of life.

With that being said, I find it hard to believe that a 6 year-old has enough foresight and understanding of what their actual goals are and the commitment that is required for any of it to move along on a scale that is appropriate for a kindergartner’s age level of understanding. Not to mention, this is coupled with the obvious role where the “yes” parent is going along with the 6 year-olds wishes without any pause to contemplate anyone’s future. For a parent to knowingly accommodate all of these wishes made by a 6 year-old child; it demonstrates a slew of red flags…none of which appear more obvious than the parent’s lack of a restraining governor.

I’ll admit that I’m making several assumptions in this case (i. e. child’s age being truly 6 years old; the lack of an occasionally oppositional parent AND THEIR involvement (or really anyone with a backbone that’s willing to simply say “no” to the child and parent). It’s easy for me to draw such a straw man’s analogy with obvious labels.

Regardless, just going off a fraction of what has been described thus far…this is still nothing short of a parent acting as an enabler of the child. It’s a disservice on many levels.

I don’t think the 6 year old is choosing to do all of this skating on his own. My point was that this kid is being forced to do 4 week long hockey camps at the age of six. Not healthy. And even if the kid wanted to do all of them, the parent shouldn’t let it happen. It is unhealthy for the child. Both mentally and physically. 

• Like 2

On 5/10/2024 at 6:56 AM, zam said:

Thought you might find this interesting.  Rink Live looked into NAHL tenders.  Far more stick around than you think.

https://www.therinklive.com/junior-and-prospects/nahl/analysis-of-nahl-tenders-signed-in-2022-23-shows-which-teams-follow-through-the-most

5 hours ago, twoboys said:

Thought you might find this interesting.  Rink Live looked into NAHL tenders.  Far more stick around than you think.

https://www.therinklive.com/junior-and-prospects/nahl/analysis-of-nahl-tenders-signed-in-2022-23-shows-which-teams-follow-through-the-most

Eyeballing that graph, looks like about 60% of tenders last year across the whole league were still with team in October. Honestly, that was about what I'd expect. No guarantee, but a decent shot at the team if you get one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Loach said:

Eyeballing that graph, looks like about 60% of tenders last year across the whole league were still with team in October. Honestly, that was about what I'd expect. No guarantee, but a decent shot at the team if you get one.

Are you putting that together for us? 

1 hour ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

Are you putting that together for us? 

I think you quoted the wrong person, but I'd love to see how many of the tenders versus draft picks were on that team's roster at season's end. Too big of a job for me to do.

6 minutes ago, Loach said:

I think you quoted the wrong person, but I'd love to see how many of the tenders versus draft picks were on that team's roster at season's end. Too big of a job for me to do.

I did. Sorry. It was for the doubter. Haha. 

The "doubter" prefers a full set of data, that's all.

That's what makes it factual.

I could take partial sets of data and manipulate it many ways until it fit a narrative just as you have.

I'll continue doubting until you provide a full set of facts.

Enjoy.