WPA ACHA College Club Hockey

1 hour ago, fafa fohi said:

One of the better schools in the PA state system for academics and also an opportunity for your kid to play hockey is West Chester University.  The campus is beautiful, not too large and has a nice downtown area for the restaurants and bars.  It gets overlooked by those living in western PA but gets a heavy draw from kids in the tri-state area along with Philly.  It is pretty affordable too at around $25K all-in for tuition / room / board per year before academic scholarships.

I second this. Beautiful area! 

4 hours ago, fafa fohi said:

One of the better schools in the PA state system for academics and also an opportunity for your kid to play hockey is West Chester University.  The campus is beautiful, not too large and has a nice downtown area for the restaurants and bars.  It gets overlooked by those living in western PA but gets a heavy draw from kids in the tri-state area along with Philly.  It is pretty affordable too at around $25K all-in for tuition / room / board per year before academic scholarships.

I’ve heard good things in the past about West Chester. Very disappointed my Alma has turned to shit, IUP was such a great part of my young adult life. It’s very sad what has happened to the school & town. 

• Sad 1

• 5 months later...

Yes,  there was partying when I was there many moons ago but this is not something to be proud of. Between race riots, drugs, terrible acedmic rankings, kids dying etc wtf is going on? Number 1 party school in the country - bottom 25% for acedmics. Extremely dissapointing. 

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/indiana-university-pennsylvania-ranked-no-1-party-school-by-national-publication/VPAH77BYCNBTJLXHXHDIBLFRJM/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2skrbOeJ5zDmuQYDSldHkelQzzuhUuLbDnRmbQKr-i4qt_NQO9Ep3kTUc_aem_AeYaoFzc7hUkCiut5zgah0nqaNvBeVt9jdol0VGfT4Fuk6UeL4vU-RRXFIZu3bAR3wg&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

It appears both hockey teams partied to much this week. Both with embarrassing losses to bad teams this weekend. 

Edited by Danner27
hockey
  • Like 1
  • Wink 1

Out of curiosity I looked at the Duquesne M1 ACHA program. Looked like they had around 5 local players and 3/5 played juniors at a high level at least a year.  Two didn't have anything listed other than high school so I'm unsure where they played.  Is that typical these days?  The board seems to think it's almost all top tier junior kids but I'm curious and don't want to Google the other 10 programs in the region. 

1 hour ago, aaaahockey said:

Out of curiosity I looked at the Duquesne M1 ACHA program. Looked like they had around 5 local players and 3/5 played juniors at a high level at least a year.  Two didn't have anything listed other than high school so I'm unsure where they played.  Is that typical these days?  The board seems to think it's almost all top tier junior kids but I'm curious and don't want to Google the other 10 programs in the region. 

I’m looking now. We actually know a lot of these guys playing local acha. There are a few kids that sat the bench in the nahl, could not get much playing time and went to school. a few bottom ncdc players that didn’t do much and left for school. The majority of the junior experience I am seeing at the local schools is tier 3 stuff. so it’s not so much the kids are super talented, better than the aaa / aa players, they are just older when they get to school.

It appears team 2 at most of the local schools are younger. Duquesne has a few kids that were mediocre pihl players on team 1 that are not all that old. JCU m1 is comprised of mainly Cleveland area AA and AAA players. RMU seems to be all over the place. I see a few kids on the rmu team 2 that I know are better players than some names on team 1. Same with iup, iup has some good names on team 2 that are better than team 1 names - Maybe it was personal choice by the players. Mercyhurst has Pahl aa players mixed in with junior players. Pitt has a few that got an opportunity in some real leauges didn’t make it, Pahl / pihl players and tier 3 juniors. Kent seems to be a mixed bag on both teams. 

sorry to be all over the place, I am typing while one of my son’s and I look. 

Edited by Danner27

On 10/1/2023 at 1:04 AM, Danner27 said:

It appears both hockey teams partied to much this week. Both with embarrassing losses to bad teams this weekend. 

Which teams, who did they play and the scores??

On 10/5/2023 at 4:02 PM, Danner27 said:

Both IUP teams - team 1 got swept by GMU. Team 2 got beat down by Saint Vincent College. Embarrassment for both of the IUP teams. 

IUP D3 played CalU last night and Calu won 4-3.  Cal was winning 3-0 and then 4-1 and a couple of late goals made it closer than it should've been.  IUP D3 did not look very good.  Took a load of penalties at their home building.  If Cal has a better PP, that game would have been a blowout.

Adrian + Liberty + Minot + SW Oklahoma + Ohio + UNLV + a few others are the Elite 8 or so that have lots of 22 -24 yo Junior NAHL USHL Caliber players ............Pitt and IUP and RMU are wannabees in that circle. These school rival NCAA D III and some low level NCAA D-1 Programs 

Edited by Pa Hockey

52 minutes ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

What does this have to do with hockey? I’ll answer for you, nothing. 

We were discussing the downfall of my Alma (IUP) - comparing it to other state schools in PA that have hockey in this thread. 

or you can just scroll all the way to the top of this page and see  @aaaahockey post. 

Edited by Danner27

18 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

We were discussing the downfall of my Alma (IUP) - comparing it to other state schools in PA that have hockey in this thread. 

or you can just scroll all the way to the top of this page and see  @aaaahockey post. 

Got it, you think because the school is a party school, the team is no good. The correlation is right in front of my eyes. But in reality there is no correlation between the two. The article you posted has nothing to do with hockey. And nothing to do with IUP’s hockey team. Therefore I questioned why you posted it. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

Got it, you think because the school is a party school, the team is no good. The correlation is right in front of my eyes. But in reality there is no correlation between the two. The article you posted has nothing to do with hockey. And nothing to do with IUP’s hockey team. Therefore I questioned why you posted it. 

I’m not saying either iup teams are “bad” teams. Cannius MD1 is a bad team. In fact I’d wager the top half of the local che MD3 teams would beat a lot of the MD2 teams - remove your top 5 MD2 teams in the country, all the sudden there is not much of a difference. Same can be said about MD1 there are some really bad teams playing in that division.

we were talking about how the much IUP has been in the news for race riots, kids dying, drugs, partying, bad acedmics etc. both teams happened to lose to not so good teams when the article about iup being the number 1 party school in America came out. Now two weeks later they have a mass shooting during a homecoming party. 

Edited by Danner27

1 hour ago, dazedandconfused said:

The question is, why do you care so much about college hockey? You belittle every league, age group and organization from college to mites. Especially any local hockey.

It's time to let go as all 4 of your ships have sailed.

When you spend all those years with two boys playing you make a lot of friends and connections. Friends who still have kids playing etc so hockey is still a topic of conversation. if my niece wasn’t playing, it probably would be much easier to “let go” local hockey. since I’m at her games, I get to catch some pihl, Pahl & acha. 

I don’t recall ever trashing any Pahl or Pihl teams on here. All I’ve ever bagged on was the faux AAA crap along with garbage tied 3 junior hockey.  If saying the chma is the weakest leauge in MD1 is “trashing” hockey so be it I guess. 

Just a thought here.... kids pick the college based on the college and the degrees they offer (crazy, I know) and are happy they have a club hockey team and can play the sport they love while getting the education they want at a campus that fits their personality and they are happy living there for 4 years 🤷🤔.  So tearing apart any club hockey teams performance is just a bit...... I don't know about any of you, but I'd rather my kid come out with a good job vs trophy and a secured spot on the top beer league team.  

Edited by ice is cold
Added a few words
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Danner27 said:

When you spend all those years with two boys playing you make a lot of friends and connections. Friends who still have kids playing etc so hockey is still a topic of conversation. if my niece wasn’t playing, it probably would be much easier to “let go” local hockey. since I’m at her games, I get to catch some pihl, Pahl & acha. 

I don’t recall ever trashing any Pahl or Pihl teams on here. All I’ve ever bagged on was the faux AAA crap along with garbage tied 3 junior hockey.  If saying the chma is the weakest leauge in MD1 is “trashing” hockey so be it I guess. 

Ok so you don’t bash any PAHL or PIHl teams here. You absolutely bash every ACHA team around here. 

23 hours ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

Ok so you don’t bash any PAHL or PIHl teams here. You absolutely bash every ACHA team around here. 

Telling the truth & bashing are two different things. 

Firsrt ACHA M1 ranking released today. No chma teams in the top 25. Pitt is not a 14 (sorry) I watched them play Duquesne & Adrain. 

image.jpeg.05664bd94e085d8ba63ff427bd1e5c13.jpeg

Edited by Danner27