39 minutes ago, dazedandconfused said:

Huh, how about that? The team that was too good for Western PA hockey wasn't the best team in Western PA?

Mid-State will provide a fine representation at Nationals.

I would Argue with you here that they got beat by another independent team but it looks like they lost to the steel City ice renegades. 

• ROTF 1

3 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

Now that midams are over, any surprises?  Looks like pens crushed it at every level except 18U where Culver won.  How about Tier 2?  

we all know they will get the at large bid like they always do then get tail handed to them at natty like normal 

I don't think Pens will get an at large bid this year at Nattys. I predict the bids will go out to non-qualifying teams based on MHR and I don't think the Pens are high enough this year.

5 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

Now that midams are over, any surprises?  Looks like pens crushed it at every level except 18U where Culver won.  How about Tier 2?  

Isn't that why the parents pay over $30,000 a year, to win?

13u  1st seed (7th overall) supposed to win by 3, they did vs 2nd seed (24th overall)

14u 1st seed (4th overall) supposed to win by 3, they did vs 2nd seed (28th overall)

15u 1st seed (4th overall) supposed to win by 6, won by 2 with an empty net vs 6th seed (60th overall)

16u 1st seed (17th overall) supposed to win by 3, won by 4 vs 6th seed (41st overall)

18u 2nd seed (17th overall) supposed to lose by 2, lost by 2 to the 1st seed (7th overall)

1 minute ago, Pucks11 said:

13u  1st seed (7th overall) supposed to win by 3, they did vs 2nd seed (24th overall)

14u 1st seed (4th overall) supposed to win by 3, they did vs 2nd seed (28th overall)

15u 1st seed (4th overall) supposed to win by 6, won by 2 with an empty net vs 6th seed (60th overall)

16u 1st seed (17th overall) supposed to win by 3, won by 4 vs 6th seed (41st overall)

18u 2nd seed (17th overall) supposed to lose by 2, lost by 2 to the 1st seed (7th overall)

Based on that, MHR is pretty spot on.  

• Like 2
  • Fist Bump 1

7 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

Somewhat surprising result for 16U Tier 2. The SCIR 16U AA team ended up winning States (beat Armstrong and SCIR 15U, who are both ranked higher according to MHR) after losing 8-1 to the Huskies in the PAHL playoffs. Seems like there was some parity in the 16U AA division this year. Good luck to all WPA teams at Nationals!

1 hour ago, RegDunlop7 said:

Somewhat surprising result for 16U Tier 2. The SCIR 16U AA team ended up winning States (beat Armstrong and SCIR 15U, who are both ranked higher according to MHR) after losing 8-1 to the Huskies in the PAHL playoffs. Seems like there was some parity in the 16U AA division this year. Good luck to all WPA teams at Nationals!

Not so surprising if you are familiar with that year...any of the top six teams could have gone. The 07 BY was low and the level of play not so good in PAHL this year. There were no stand out teams with stand out talent. And if they had any, they went to play independent. 

Good luck to them!

• Like 1

The 6th seeds at the 15u and 16u divisions both made it to the finals on the backs of heroic goaltending.   Both of these teams faced 50 shots against per game but their goalies were nearly perfect and they mustered up enough offense to get to the final.  It's nearly impossible to rely on that over the course of a season especially with a 2 goalie rotation, but in a 3 game round robin, an elite goaltender can make all the difference.  

It's only fair that USA hockey awards a few at large bids to account for these sorts of situations.  You could have a wagon of a team get knocked off in a district playoff game and miss out on nationals and a 50 or 60th ranked team be the lone representative of the district. 

The 18u division was won by a goalie that only gave up a total of 3 goals over the course of 4 games. Several teams had legitimate chances to win that division but were on the wrong side of close 1 goal games.

13u and 14u were each won by the superior team and faced very little adversity.

3 minutes ago, zam said:

The 6th seeds at the 15u and 16u divisions both made it to the finals on the backs of heroic goaltending.   Both of these teams faced 50 shots against per game but their goalies were nearly perfect and they mustered up enough offense to get to the final.  It's nearly impossible to rely on that over the course of a season especially with a 2 goalie rotation, but in a 3 game round robin, an elite goaltender can make all the difference.  

It's only fair that USA hockey awards a few at large bids to account for these sorts of situations.  You could have a wagon of a team get knocked off in a district playoff game and miss out on nationals and a 50 or 60th ranked team be the lone representative of the district. 

The 18u division was won by a goalie that only gave up a total of 3 goals over the course of 4 games. Several teams had legitimate chances to win that division but were on the wrong side of close 1 goal games.

It's not like the 18u PPE team was a powerhouse team all season. They were comparable to esmark and lost to the better team in culver. Why would they deserve an at large over the truly elite teams at 18u?

6 hours ago, YardSale said:

Based on that, MHR is pretty spot on.  

Yeah, it is really good by the end of the season. You still have to play the games, but it's the best indicator and glad they use it for Nationals despite what Gunty is spouting off about.

At 18u AAA, 10 of the 12 divisions have held their championships. In 9 of them, the #1 seed in MHR won. In the other one (which was Massachusetts and that was held back in the fall), the #2 seed won.

It looks like Avon, Central Mass, either Bishop Kearney or Long Island (whoever loses their district next weekend, assuming one wins) and either Neponset or Mt St Charles will get the 4 at-large bids.

22 minutes ago, zam said:

While most of this is true, If you are 1 of the top teams in the country and can not take care of a 50th/60th ranked team handedly (no matter how good the goalie is) maybe USA hockey should reevaluate that at large bid, if it were to have come down to that.

45 minutes ago, Icebucket said:

It's not like the 18u PPE team was a powerhouse team all season. They were comparable to esmark and lost to the better team in culver. Why would they deserve an at large over the truly elite teams at 18u?

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting PPE was the team deserving of an at large bid.  I was just saying it makes sense to have the at large bid option for exceptional teams that are upset. Or two elite teams in the same district.

The 18u AAA division was very balanced. Atleast half the teams had a legitimate chance to win it.  But perhaps it was just balanced mediocrity compared to the rest of the country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zam said:

At 13U the Pens won one game 2-0, and lead another 3-2 going into the third (6-2) final. They had some competition. We’re definitely the better team, but it wasn’t a total cake walk. 

The bottom line is that hockey is the sport with the most variables during the course of a game. In any ONE game, between teams that are anywhere even close to skill, either team can win. Bouncing pucks, stunning goalie performances, how penalties are called or not called, kids being focused or not that particular day, momentum swings at opportune times (or not).... in one single game anything can happen. It happens all the time in hockey at every level. Ever wonder why professional gamblers mostly stick with basketball & football? Less variables.

• Like 3
  • 100 1

On 3/11/2024 at 2:45 PM, Pucks11 said:

So what are you alluding to?   All but one of National eligible PPE teams are qualified…  Maybe I’m missing your point?  

56 minutes ago, Salsemotionalfriend said:

So what are you alluding to?   All but one of National eligible PPE teams are qualified…  Maybe I’m missing your point?  

Let me rephrase it for you since my wording was a little off.

This is why the parents pay $30,000 a year, to win!

27 minutes ago, Pucks11 said:

Let me rephrase it for you since my wording was a little off.

This is why the parents pay $30,000 a year, to win!

The jealousy is so palpable that you can smell it.  Sounds to me like another parent whose kid just couldn’t quite make the team.  Sad really…   

Edited by Salsemotionalfriend

3 hours ago, Salsemotionalfriend said:

The jealousy is so palpable that you can smell it.  Sounds to me like another parent whose kid just couldn’t quite make the team.  Sad really…   

Jealous because I don't HAVE to spend $30,000 a year plus $$ on an advisor for my kid to get recognized. Guilty ✋🏻✋🏻🤣🤣

8 hours ago, Pucks11 said:

Jealous because I don't HAVE to spend $30,000 a year plus $$ on an advisor for my kid to get recognized. Guilty ✋🏻✋🏻🤣🤣

This is the type of jealously I referenced.  Guy sits behind his computer and bashes an organization instead of praising the kids in said organization.  When, in reality, he wants for his son what they have.   It is completely pathetic and transparent.  Don’t be such a hater.  And, by the way, the good players don’t pay for advisors…  Onto baseball season for you sir.