School teams looking for coaches

Is it safe to assume with the additional number of games and travel involved that paid coaches for Club hockey is an even higher amount? Or maybe pay is higher in PIHL because of club sponsors and fundraising.

A few years ago a friend on a local AAA club team said each family had to pay 1000 cash to start the season and they put it in a bag and gave it to the coach as his salary. Not sure if he got paid additionally from the organization.

3 hours ago, zam said:

Is it safe to assume with the additional number of games and travel involved that paid coaches for Club hockey is an even higher amount? Or maybe pay is higher in PIHL because of club sponsors and fundraising.

A few years ago a friend on a local AAA club team said each family had to pay 1000 cash to start the season and they put it in a bag and gave it to the coach as his salary. Not sure if he got paid additionally from the organization.

Predators charge a coaching fee. I don't think it's in cash, but it's significant. Last time I talked to someone there, it was  $900-1000/kid. I think this was just AAA teams though. Not sure if they pay any other coaches. But $900 x 15 kids is $13,500.

For whatever reason, high school has generally paid better for years. The coaching salaries are not a surprise to me.

• Poop 1

1 hour ago, Chinstrap said:

If the Board has any say in coach hiring or compensation.

In high school the Board is usually the group that hires and sets salary. And I know of a varsity position or two that don’t pay anywhere near what has been stated here. 

1 hour ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

Predators charge a coaching fee. I don't think it's in cash, but it's significant. Last time I talked to someone there, it was  $900-1000/kid. I think this was just AAA teams though. Not sure if they pay any other coaches. But $900 x 15 kids is $13,500.

For whatever reason, high school has generally paid better for years. The coaching salaries are not a surprise to me.

Is that an actually to be paid as a salary for the coach or is that like a team fund which also usually pays for travel expenses like hotels, food, gas,...

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, thunderbay bombers said:

Appears central catholic has hired former seneca valley coach Anthony Raco. Seneca valley is promoting assistant Tyler Mesisca to head coach.

Thats a huge boost for Seneca Valley

How so? He's been on the staff for quite some time as well so has some culpability for the team's results.

But wasn't he the assistant coach, who was hired by the former Coach? And then went to the board behind his back?

That's like marrying your mistress and being surprised when she's someone else's mistress.

• ROTF 1
  • Fist Bump 1

15 hours ago, Icebucket said:

Thats a huge boost for Seneca Valley

5 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

How so? He's been on the staff for quite some time as well so has some culpability for the team's results.

But wasn't he the assistant coach, who was hired by the former Coach? And then went to the board behind his back?

That's like marrying your mistress and being surprised when she's someone else's mistress.

I wish Anthony the best at Central which is a huge challenge. WHEN he wins there and he will youll see SV made a miscalculation.

He built a great organization at Seneca Valley with development at JV (2) and Middle School (2)teams and was successful every year he coached. Its not easy to win a State Championship  (Congrats Pine Richland !) 

Posted (edited)

I have no problem giving him all the credit if he can do something at central. I hope he does well there as the more good teams at AAA is better for everyone.

Edited by Icebucket

On 4/12/2024 at 11:59 AM, Happy Hockey Fan said:

In high school the Board is usually the group that hires and sets salary. And I know of a varsity position or two that don’t pay anywhere near what has been stated here. 

…..usually.

Either patience has wore thin at Avonworth after playing 2 years in the A league with no championships, or maybe there was some scandal??? but the Varsity and JV coaches were supposedly just axed.

3 hours ago, zam said:

Either patience has wore thin at Avonworth after playing 2 years in the A league with no championships, or maybe there was some scandal??? but the Varsity and JV coaches were supposedly just axed.

Knowing families in that district it's not a scandal.  I think theres disappointment that they improved substantially year over year in the regular season but still got nowhere in the playoffs.  That tells me that coaches got out coached.  

On 5/7/2024 at 10:25 PM, Ihearthockey said:

Knowing families in that district it's not a scandal.  I think theres disappointment that they improved substantially year over year in the regular season but still got nowhere in the playoffs.  That tells me that coaches got out coached.  

Well look at them being proactive. It's been a full decade of futility for us down river. Multiple Division winners but no hardware to show for it, even after being dropped back to A. Most of these current players were in kindergarten!  Erie McDowell anyone??? Believe me I know this is an unpopular opinion but some might use the term outcoached. 

#HaveYouEverSeenTheQuakersWinTheCup

On 5/7/2024 at 10:25 PM, Ihearthockey said:

Greensburg Salem out coached just about everybody in the playoffs and that coach is gone, too. PIHL coaching is getting like the NHL.

"out coached" in high school sports is really funny! You're only as good as the players in your district that come out to play.  And you better hope you have a stud in net every 4 years if you want long term success!

Can anybody point to a local coach that CONSISTENTLY took a bunch of mediocre hockey players and turned them into champions? And I don't mean just a one year overachieving team.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RefHannah said:

"out coached" in high school sports is really funny! You're only as good as the players in your district that come out to play.  And you better hope you have a stud in net every 4 years if you want long term success!

Can anybody point to a local coach that CONSISTENTLY took a bunch of mediocre hockey players and turned them into champions? And I don't mean just a one year overachieving team.

I have watched a lot of PIHL games and I have seen coaches get "out coached" quite often, and IMO it is because of the disparity between skill levels.  There is a significant drop off from a PIHL teams #1 and #2 lines compared to lines #3 and #4.  I have seen coaches roll four lines while others play their top 2 lines 85% of the game with the 4th line not sniffing the ice which creates a lot of mismatches.  And I have seen those that were "out coached" and rolling four lines not adjust to what the other team is doing during any point of the game.

In higher level club hockey such as AAA and AA, the disparity of talent is significantly less.

Edited by fafa fohi
  • 100 1

21 hours ago, RefHannah said:

Bishop Canevin coach they were terrible did the same thing at Mars turned them into a  great team and other teams he coached

Their are some great coaches out there until boards and crazy parents chase them away 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Overqualified said:

Bishop Canevin coach they were terrible did the same thing at Mars turned them into a  great team and other teams he coached

Their are some great coaches out there until boards and crazy parents chase them away 

Can you re-write this in so people can understand what you mean? 

5 minutes ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

Can you re-write this in so people can understand what you mean? 

Bishop Canevin was terrible new coached turned them around and did the same thing at Mars and other schools and amateur teams he coached

Lors of good coaches out there people have no idea how much time a good coach puts in that's what makes the difference 

On 5/12/2024 at 12:12 PM, fafa fohi said:

I have watched a lot of PIHL games and I have seen coaches get "out coached" quite often, and IMO it is because of the disparity between skill levels.  There is a significant drop off from a PIHL teams #1 and #2 lines compared to lines #3 and #4.  I have seen coaches roll four lines while others play their top 2 lines 85% of the game with the 4th line not sniffing the ice which creates a lot of mismatches.  And I have seen those that were "out coached" and rolling four lines not adjust to what the other team is doing during any point of the game.

In higher level club hockey such as AAA and AA, the disparity of talent is significantly less.

I wouldn't call playing 2 lines 85% of the time "good coaching". I would say the team that is not necessarily rolling lines but pacing all 4 and beats the team playing 2 lines is the team with the good coach.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

I wouldn't call playing 2 lines 85% of the time "good coaching". I would say the team that is not necessarily rolling lines but pacing all 4 and beats the team playing 2 lines is the team with the good coach.

From what I have seen teams “pacing” all four lines rarely ever beat one team heavily leaning on the top two lines in PIHL.  Varsity hockey coaches are doing that for a reason as it gives them the best chance to win, whether you agree with it or not.  Hockey at the varsity level is not developmental hockey like JV or MS where it is all about equal playing time.

• Like 3