U18 AAA

I know it's very early, but it appears those that were writing off Esmark as a player in AAA need to take a look at the U18 level.  Based on games played so far they appear to be the class of this level in western PA.  PPE looks average ( got swept this past weekend ) while Vengeance is a mess and also got swept by OBJ with Preds and Icemen taking their customary spots at the very bottom.  

Fresh chum is now in the water - commence feeding.

https://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?d=MM&y=2023&v=118&view=alphabetic

Edited by fafa fohi

17 hours ago, Carl Racki said:

Rankings don't mean much until mid December in my opinion.  By the end of December there usually isn't big changes but week 1 through then will have a lot of big changes.  Just not enough data the first few weeks.

For the most part, that's correct. But for some teams, the early rankings will signify the end of their delusion........ I mean dream of qualifying for the District play-down.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

The rankings take awhile to even out for teams that haven't travelled yet to play teams outside their local bubble. Most AAA teams have played at least 2 showcases with teams from various regions at this point already. There will be some movement in the scores with larger sample size if a team had a really bad or really good game so far. But, I expect the overall AAA pecking order at the first ranking release will be a decent representation.

On 9/19/2023 at 4:36 PM, PUCKCOVID19 said:

I'm sure if ppe played that weak of a schedule they would have the same record.  Esmarks in that sub par naphl crap. while ppe plays top teams week in and out. the team that killed  ppe this weekend would kill the stars by far more 

Why do you care?  According to your logic there should only be maybe 10 AAA teams in the country!  Would that make you happy?  Why are you always so negative? Should the teams that finish near the bottom in the NHL fold because they aren't competitive?  The people on here who judge the level of hockey played in this area annoy me to no end!  Who really cares?  Let the kids play without your criticism!  How about admiring them for putting it all out there!  95% are playing as hard as they can for the love of the sport! 

• Like 1
  • 100 1

If the coaches are honest with the parents/players regarding their level of talent, I'm generally fine with players playing on whatever team they choose. With MHR now, it's pretty clear to everyone what level a team is at, it really doesn't matter whether they have 3 A's or 2. If you are ranked at the bottom of the AAA teams and lower than a bunch of AA teams, it doesn't matter the label, everyone knows you are AA at best.

It does bug me when these teams then schedule predominantly above their talent level, thinking they are going to magically compete. It's a waste of time and money for teams traveling distances to have to play some of these dreamers. I won't throw specific teams under the bus, but there were some examples in the THF tourney here this weekend.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 9:17 AM, hockeyisgreat said:

Why do you care?  According to your logic there should only be maybe 10 AAA teams in the country!  Would that make you happy?  Why are you always so negative? Should the teams that finish near the bottom in the NHL fold because they aren't competitive?  The people on here who judge the level of hockey played in this area annoy me to no end!  Who really cares?  Let the kids play without your criticism!  How about admiring them for putting it all out there!  95% are playing as hard as they can for the love of the sport! 

The AA Triple A teams have killed hockey around here. 

• Like 1
  • 100 1

9 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

The AA Triple A teams have killed hockey around here. 

Please explain what you mean by that!  Isn't Hockey, Hockey no matter what level you play at? I'm just trying to understand what you mean by that!  Isn't the same thing happening throughout the country or do you think it's just a Western PA thing?  Shattuck St Marys now has 2 18UAAA teams!  Where should the kids on the 2nd team go?  Maybe they should stop playing so they don't pollute the AAA Hockey scene!

Are the numbers of players in Western PA on the decline?  I just don't understand your negativity!

4 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Please explain what you mean by that!  Isn't Hockey, Hockey no matter what level you play at? I'm just trying to understand what you mean by that!  Isn't the same thing happening throughout the country or do you think it's just a Western PA thing?  Shattuck St Marys now has 2 18UAAA teams!  Where should the kids on the 2nd team go?  Maybe they should stop playing so they don't pollute the AAA Hockey scene!

Are the numbers of players in Western PA on the decline?  I just don't understand your negativity!

To be fair the second team as SSM technically plays in the high school division for USAH purposes, not AAA (whether right or wrong)

5 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Please, you have been reading and posting non stop on this Board for over a year now! I feel confident that you know by now the reasons people feel AA has tanked around here! Your desire to be a cheerleader for local hockey is duly noted! You are great at it! Keep cheering on those grandkids!

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Thanks, I sure will!  As long as they love the game and have good coaches at what ever level they are playing I will keep cheering them on! Sure won't put down the organizations that are providing the teams and coaches for the kids!

While your cheerleading of hockey organizations and coaches is commendable and I mostly agree, let's not pretend that every organization and coach is doing what they're doing because of altruism. 

Edited by nemesis8679
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

While your cheerleading of hockey organizations and coaches is commendable and I mostly agree, let's not pretend that every organization and coach is doing what they're doing because of altruism. 

Never said they all were but I would venture to say that no one is making millions from hockey in this area either!  Are they making a living from it?  I sure hope so or why do it? Are there people out there and on this board who are perhaps jealous that others are making a living from Hockey?  I'd bet the ranch!

I am seeing the Icemen 18U “AAA” team ranked 32nd in Tier 2….below all of the AA teams and just above the A teams.

1-7 record.  14 GF.  51 GA. 

I feel bad for the kids.  Billed as AAA but really A Major.  Paying a lot of money to lose and be so lopsided in games.  But if they are happy and it’s their money, so have at it.

the icemen are known for saying they “AAA” when in reality AA at best but mostly A level hockey.  The facts speak for themselves. 

3 minutes ago, Duster19 said:

I am seeing the Icemen 18U “AAA” team ranked 32nd in Tier 2….below all of the AA teams and just above the A teams.

1-7 record.  14 GF.  51 GA. 

I feel bad for the kids.  Billed as AAA but really A Major.  Paying a lot of money to lose and be so lopsided in games.  But if they are happy and it’s their money, so have at it.

the icemen are known for saying they “AAA” when in reality AA at best but mostly A level hockey.  The facts speak for themselves. 

They should have just played AA.  Not sure why teams just won't do that.  You have some tweener teams that would dominate AA so they are damned if they do damned if they don't.  If those teams list AAA that's fine.  If you are not a top AA team then just list AA and forget the AAA.  Compete for something and have a good time.