Belmont - Same sh*t different day

Penalty shenanigans continue this season at Belmont.  Earlier today SCIR U16 AA had 22 penalty minutes compared to four minutes for home team Armstrong.  In the U18 AA game it was only a three X differential in favor of the home team - 18 penalty minutes for SCIR compared to six minutes for Armstrong.

And people wonder why they don’t want to travel to that barn.

I know I know - pure coincidence.  

https://www.pahockey.com/game/show/40714165?subseason=911580&referrer=8266158

21 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

Well no one wants to go to alpha either.  But point taken. 

Not wanting to travel to a rink because of the unique smells and the possibility of contracting e-coli does not equate to horrendous reffing.  Just sayin’

• ROTF 2

50 minutes ago, Saucey said:

Facts. Always get homered at Belmont. Although there are a lot of teams losing FPP in those age groups it seems.

The FPP is just brutal. Standings end up being determined by how many games a team plays with refs who prefer head contact instead of roughing calls

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Icebucket said:

The FPP is just brutal. Standings end up being determined by how many games a team plays with refs who prefer head contact instead of roughing calls

Yep that needs to go away. On a side note, I heard the new person in charge is a trainwreck (shocking), he should never of been given the job.

7 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

That place sucks. Hate going there. Same with Palmer. Though at Palmer I'm not sure it's homerism as much as not wanting to be shanked by a Badgers parent. 

Limited number of refs even willing to work at those places. 

At least as a spectator at Belmont, you can hide in the balcony.

• Like 1

The penalty discrepancy as well as all sorts of shenanigans would go on at Belmont routinely when we played AA away games there from ~2012-2020. 

I'd rate the worst places for officiating as:

1) Belmont

2) Indiana (only in second place due to less cheap shots and cheap play)

3) Altoona or State College (lots of garbage calls, that make it hard for an away team to win, even against an inferior home team)

4) every other rink about even over the years.

IS IT just a coincidence that all of those are far away from every other rink??

Some of the highlights that I recall:

• Top forward on our team was hit to the head and driven into the boards in the first 5 minutes of the game right in front of benches (concussion, out for a while) No call.
  • Different game, another of our top players was cheap shot early in a game and knocked out of the game. Again at center ice by the benches. No call.
  • Players punched by Armstrong players while leaving the ice to go to the locker rooms in front of the pool.  Told Refs.  Wouldn't look into it on the video camera system.  Nothing happened.
  • If the game is tight, your team will for sure get multiple penalties in the last ~10 minutes to try and even up the game (This is routine at Indiana as well).  Happens 100% of the time.
  • If your team has a decent lead, watch out for cheap shots the last 10 minutes.  Players need to have their heads on a swivel.
  • Of minor note, lousy scorekeeping and often refs would only give the goal and MAYBE a first assist to the away team, while always giving 2 assists to home team.  I know this because I was a manager for years, and our teams didn't score exclusively on breakaways every time we were there.  Total joke.

Other musings:

1) if you're from out of the area and go for a tryout there, unless you're Connor McDavid, Jr., or were ASKED to show up, your player has about a 0% chance of making an AA team there, so don't waste your time.

Edited by Wes
  • Like 1

As far as Center Ice aka Palmer Imaging Arena, even though my son played AA there for multiple years roughly 2012-2020, we would very often routinely get "reverse homered" by the refs and pretty much always be on the short end of the stick in terms of power plays.  And our teams were skill based, not goon based AA teams like other teams in that timeframe.  

So I will disagree that during that timeframe at that level home teams had the advantage, because we were constantly on the short end at home there.

Indiana is horrible also. Som played on a team that went there for a game. They tied 4-4. Mainly because they were shorthanded the whole game. Played them later in the year at home and beat them 14-1. Hardly any penalties either way. That is how much the refs effected the game. And the one point cost his team the regular season championship. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Wes said:

As far as Center Ice aka Palmer Imaging Arena, even though my son played AA there for multiple years roughly 2012-2020, we would very often routinely get "reverse homered" by the refs and pretty much always be on the short end of the stick in terms of power plays.  And our teams were skill based, not goon based AA teams like other teams in that timeframe.  

So I will disagree that during that timeframe at that level home teams had the advantage, because we were constantly on the short end at home there.

As a non-badger, I’ve watched this happen repeatedly as recently as last year.  The refs completely hammer the home team.

2 hours ago, Wes said:

my son played birth year at Allegheny a few years and we definitely were reverse homered constantly-but lots of refs are from a rival organization 

• Holy Moly 1

1 hour ago, bender05 said:

my son played birth year at Allegheny a few years and we definitely were reverse homered constantly-but lots of refs are from a rival organization 

The Badgers parents and players are well known amongst the refs as being the dirtiest and rudest players and fans in the area. Of all the organizations to say they get reversed homered, no it's just being called right. They actually had a kid (13) tell a female ref to go make him a sandwich, multiple kids double bird the fans and even had a kid air jack off to the crowd as he got kicked out of a game. That's just recent stuff.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pucks11 said:

The Badgers parents and players are well known amongst the refs as being the dirtiest and rudest players and fans in the area. Of all the organizations to say they get reversed homered, no it's just being called right. They actually had a kid (13) tell a female ref to go make him a sandwich, multiple kids double bird the fans and even had a kid air jack off to the crowd as he got kicked out of a game. That's just recent stuff.

I can assure you the teams that I managed during the timeframe I referenced did not have these sorts of kids on it.  As manager I was at every single game and never saw any behavior like this, period.  But we're likely in two different age ranges and times, so I can't speak for other teams that I wasn't part of.  

22 minutes ago, Wes said:

I can assure you the teams that I managed during the timeframe I referenced did not have these sorts of kids on it.  As manager I was at every single game and never saw any behavior like this, period.  But we're likely in two different age ranges and times, so I can't speak for other teams that I wasn't part of.  

Good for you but different age ranges doesn't matter. I have seen it from Mites to Midgets with that organization including the coaches whether as a coach, spectator or ref.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

@Wes "If the game is tight, your team will for sure get multiple penalties in the last ~10 minutes to try and even up the game (This is routine at Indiana as well).  Happens 100% of the time."

It's as if as you were there at the U18 game because that appears to have happened.  SCIR up 2-0 mid second period, then the one-sided calls from the refs magically appear to include TWO 5 on 3's.  Armstrong then scores two PP goals for the game to end in a tie.

Image10-30-23at6_16PM.jpeg.e672c49021aed7dbc0d51cc0e54c96e3.jpeg

Edited by fafa fohi
  • Like 1