PG Stellar 6 - 2024

44 minutes ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

Canevin is a good team in the open class. They wouldn’t compete in AA OR AAA. No chance. And it doesn’t matter unless they can get enough kids to go pure. 

38 kids in the freshman class so won't be going pure anytime soon

8 pens cups not bad

1 hour ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Can't move up in the PIHL.  They are a co-op team with players from multiple schools who can't field a team on their own.  The PIAA lets schools co-op and qualify for the State tournaments. I guess it is a SWPA thing and there is no complimentary division in the east.  It is great that close to 300 kids play in D-2 that otherwise wouldn't get a chance to play High School Hockey.  No Amateur team can duplicate the High School fan atmosphere!  Even if it is coming from 5 different schools.

PIHL has made teams go straight without caring if they had enough kids to field a JV/V team.

32 minutes ago, Pucks11 said:

PIHL has made teams go straight without caring if they had enough kids to field a JV/V team.

Canevin has a middle school team but no middle school and never a jv team they only have a high school so there is no feeder team

And middle school team consists of mostly kids that will play for there public school in high school 

1 hour ago, Pa Hockey said:

D-2 is impure teams with multiple High Schools and was originally supposed to develop into pure and never did.

Schools in AAA, AA and A work very hard to earn an opportunity to play for a State Championship and are rewarded for their efforts.  

TJ beat Greensburg Salem 8-0 in the PAHSS and both had all their players and was a good experience because Salem rebounded and committed themselves and almost pulled off a Penguins Cup this year.

Canevin sent half their players to play Latrobe ? Why? 

Look at what Avonworth is doing and South Park is doing with MS and Developmental and they should be applauded  

So you are saying that the Schools in D-2 don't work hard?  Those teams and coaches have to work harder to join players from 5 schools together to form a team.  Wow I didn't realize how much you are against D-2.  So that's why you try hard not to recognize their accomplishments!  Very sad!

11 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

So you are saying that the Schools in D-2 don't work hard?  Those teams and coaches have to work harder to join players from 5 schools together to form a team.  Wow I didn't realize how much you are against D-2.  So that's why you try hard not to recognize their accomplishments!  Very sad!

I am not against D-2 at all and completely understand the model and appreciate the challenges. They get to play their championship at Lemieux, get coverage on Web, have an all star game and enjoy the same benefits as Varsity AAA, AA and A. Yet you cry discrimination. Stop crying foul and appreciate what d-2 has. Deer Lakes has a JV and will join A Hockey soon and will be another example of the original intention.   

The east does have a D2 league.  It is meant to be developmental - teams that are trying to build programs or keep programs alive.  Gives the kids a place to play for their school(s).  Some of the teams are mixed schools, some are not.  They are not eligible to play in the Flyers Cup.

https://www.icshl.org/page/show/8023730-d2

There are unpure teams playing in the "regular" leagues (ICSHL and SHSHL).  They play for their regular league championships, but if they want to play in the Flyers Cup, they have to play for the AAA divisions against the likes of Malvern, LaSalle, etc.  Perkiomen Valley did it this year and was beat in the first round by LaSalle.  If they were pure, they would have played AA I believe.

51 minutes ago, Pa Hockey said:

I am not against D-2 at all and completely understand the model and appreciate the challenges. They get to play their championship at Lemieux, get coverage on Web, have an all star game and enjoy the same benefits as Varsity AAA, AA and A. Yet you cry discrimination. Stop crying foul and appreciate what d-2 has. Deer Lakes has a JV and will join A Hockey soon and will be another example of the original intention.   

I call it like I see it!  Maybe next year you will include D-2 in your rankings from the begining of the season and Keith Barnes might mention them in his articles.  Those kids are working as hard as everyone else and they have some great players in their league!  That's all I want to say!

• 100 1

On 3/27/2024 at 10:41 PM, Icebucket said:

Safe to assume this is someone who lives in the South hills?

Does Tenband.tv cover/stream any of the north hills schools games (or anywhere else)? I honestly don’t know.

I have to believe that there’s sponsorship & advertising dollars involved. Naturally, that would dictate what games/schools get covered through  their online streaming platform.

They had their own direct broadcast or an affiliate’s broadcast of all of the Penguins Cup games and Pennsylvania Cup games. In fact, they have been streaming PIHL games for several years.
It’s just like any other live sporting events that I’ve seen broadcast or streamed. The primary games that are covered are the ones that receive the sponsorship & advertising dollars.  

47 minutes ago, Rewster said:

Does Tenband.tv cover/stream any of the north hills schools games (or anywhere else)? I honestly don’t know.

I have to believe that there’s sponsorship & advertising dollars involved. Naturally, that would dictate what games/schools get covered through  their online streaming platform.

They had their own direct broadcast or an affiliate’s broadcast of all of the Penguins Cup games and Pennsylvania Cup games. In fact, they have been streaming PIHL games for several years.
It’s just like any other live sporting events that I’ve seen broadcast or streamed. The primary games that are covered are the ones that receive the sponsorship & advertising dollars.  

Yes they do North Hills games.  Several out of Baierl.  I believe if your team is willing to sponsor you get more games.  They do a good job of spreading it around.  Here is a list:

https://www.pihlhockey.com/broadcasts

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rewster said:

I wasn't trying to imply that they don't do a good job, because I think tenband is great for the PIHL. It just seemed clear that he personally followed the South hills teams a little closer based on the picks

Edited by Icebucket
Grammar
  • Like 1

One thing is clear, Alex Thomas was correct choice for player of year.   The other 5 are debatable.  

I think less weight needs to be given to assists.  If you are at all familiar with high school hockey then I don't need to explain why. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, twoboys said:

One thing is clear, Alex Thomas was correct choice for player of year.   The other 5 are debatable.  

I think less weight needs to be given to assists.  If you are at all familiar with high school hockey then I don't need to explain why. 

Why less weight for assists? I am familiar with high school hockey, but don’t understand your statement. 

25 minutes ago, twoboys said:

na Jake is a heck of a player himself.. the CV and SF onees though for sure deff shouldn't be on but is what is 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

Why less weight for assists? I am familiar with high school hockey, but don’t understand your statement. 

I cannot speak for @twoboys but if you watch closely after a goal is scored, you will see players get in the refs ear that they were the ones that should be awarded the assist.  it happens all of the time and I have seen players nowhere near the puck or scoring play do this in order to pad their stats.

• Like 1
  • 100 2

57 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

I cannot speak for @twoboys but if you watch closely after a goal is scored, you will see players get in the refs ear that they were the ones that should be awarded the assist.  it happens all of the time and I have seen players nowhere near the puck or scoring play do this in order to pad their stats.

I haven’t paid attention to that lately, but I do remember kids joking about a particular player doing that a few years ago. But doesn’t mean that all kids do it, so to discount everyone’s assists based on the fact that some kids do it is probably not the best solution. 

Just now, Happy Hockey Fan said:

I haven’t paid attention to that lately, but I do remember kids joking about a particular player doing that a few years ago. But doesn’t mean that all kids do it, so to discount everyone’s assists based on the fact that some kids do it is probably not the best solution. 

It's a combination of some players "claiming" assists from the refs after a goal, some refs not caring or unable to determine goal scorers, and some coaches/organizations sending in stat corrections to the league.  If you see a team that consistently has 2 assists credited for every goal, you can be pretty sure either the coach called them in after the game, or the players followed the ref to the score keeper. Most of the time it's inconsequential,  my kid has had missed assists at times and assists he didn't deserve credited to him other times. 

• Like 1
  • 100 1

10 minutes ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

I never said all kids do it, but a lot of them do it.  A lot of them.

Back to the main story at hand congrats to all the kids.  Great honor even if you are "telling the refs who to give assists to".  If that's the case these kids have a great future ahead of themselves as politicians. 

• Like 2
  • Fist Bump 1

On 3/27/2024 at 11:13 AM, Pa Hockey said:

I have been a part of picking the Stellar 6 for almost 30 years and its great that the PG recognizes these players ............do me a favor and congratulate these great kids . D-2 gets plenty of publicity 

17 minutes ago, Pa Hockey said:

Congratulations to the Stellar 6! 

You still didn't show me where D-2 gets plenty of publicity! Maybe they should have their own Top 6!  Maybe call them the Co-op Top 6.  Would be an impressive list!

• 100 1

On 3/29/2024 at 3:59 PM, zam said:

It's a combination of some players "claiming" assists from the refs after a goal, some refs not caring or unable to determine goal scorers, and some coaches/organizations sending in stat corrections to the league.  If you see a team that consistently has 2 assists credited for every goal, you can be pretty sure either the coach called them in after the game, or the players followed the ref to the score keeper. Most of the time it's inconsequential,  my kid has had missed assists at times and assists he didn't deserve credited to him other times. 

As an official, sometimes you do miss the secondary assist, when that occurs I normally ask a coach or the goal scorer something like "which d-man made the 1st pass?" or something along those lines.  They are good with giving me a number 99% of the time and I have to trust that they are going to give me the correct information.  I only ask if I know that there was a 2nd assist and I missed the number, I won't hand out an assist just because a kid skates up to me and claims to have made a pass.

If teams want to send in stats corrections, so be it.  I'll be the first one to admit that I'm not perfect but I can say that I do the best job that I can when I'm out there.  I always wanted my son to get credit for points when he deserved it back when he played so I make it a point to give these kids the same credit today.

• Like 5
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Corsi said:

As an official, sometimes you do miss the secondary assist, when that occurs I normally ask a coach or the goal scorer something like "which d-man made the 1st pass?" or something along those lines.  They are good with giving me a number 99% of the time and I have to trust that they are going to give me the correct information.  I only ask if I know that there was a 2nd assist and I missed the number, I won't hand out an assist just because a kid skates up to me and claims to have made a pass.

If teams want to send in stats corrections, so be it.  I'll be the first one to admit that I'm not perfect but I can say that I do the best job that I can when I'm out there.  I always wanted my son to get credit for points when he deserved it back when he played so I make it a point to give these kids the same credit today.

Agree--the same goes for me. At the lower levels of PAHL, I really do not care too much about getting assists correct, and often, I will take a coach's word for it. No one knows after the fact because PAHL does not compile such things. Kids and parents like to "brag."

For higher levels, I definitely try to be accurate, and I often work with my partner to get the right numbers.

• Like 2