2022 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA PENGUIN CUP SCHEDULE

4 hours ago, Denis Lemiuex said:

Simple. Let the coaches decide the classification for each team. They know their opponents best - who left, who returned and how talented each team should be.

Sounds good in theory, but we all know that not every coach would be honest. Some would claim to be not as good so they could be placed in a division where they would have an easy road to a championship. 

30 minutes ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

Sounds good in theory, but we all know that not every coach would be honest. Some would claim to be not as good so they could be placed in a division where they would have an easy road to a championship. 

No. All the coached decide. For instance. All the AAA coaches get together in July and they determine who will be the top teams vs the bottom teams. Then bottom teams then will be considered against the top returning AA teams and so on. I would not trust some of the coaches/organizations for sandbagging. Take it out of their hands. And I am sorry. No one in the league office probably has a clue either.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pa Hockey said:

This is common sense and why would that matter? Great Post !!

It's pretty simple

Schools with Multiple JV and MS Programs (60 + Players ) AAA - These programs are loaded with numbers and should be AAA

Schools with JV + MS (40 - 60 Players) AA - 

Schools with 40 Players or Less VAR - MS A - Usuallly lots of 9 and 10th graders forced to play Varsity due to NO JV

Co Op for multiple school programs B

This is just the base factor and IS close to where we are now through the competitive formula. It is working well so far and Norwin  and McDowell should be in A until they build up numbers. 

All of these are fine programs at different stages of development and should be celebrated regardless as these students achieve a lifetime goal - Congrats to all!

No other PA High School sport does it like this.  They are all done by student population.  They do not try to "balance" the competition at the league level.  The teams can use their non-league games to play easier or harder competition.  During the regular season, teams play outside their level, even in league play.  Come playoff time, they play schools that are the same size.

7 hours ago, carroll81 said:

No other PA High School sport does it like this.  They are all done by student population.  They do not try to "balance" the competition at the league level.  The teams can use their non-league games to play easier or harder competition.  During the regular season, teams play outside their level, even in league play.  Come playoff time, they play schools that are the same size.

I am glad that PIHL tries to make the schedule competitive all season. Blow out games are a waste of time for everyone. Those lopsided football scores are ridiculous and going to get worse as kids continue to avoid that sport in growing numbers.

Edited by Saucey
Separated comment from post
  • Like 2
  • 100 1

On 3/18/2022 at 8:25 PM, Danner27 said:

We get it, your kid plays for neshannock. It’s that a real division ? 

I think so. Didn't Ringgold beat your beloved Esmark superstars that were playing in this fake division a few years ago?

PENGUIN CUP FINALS                
A   Norwin  5   McDowell 0 UPMC Lemieux Monday 21-Mar 8:45 PM
    FLYERS CUP FINALS                
A   West Chester East  6   Springfield  2 IceLine Monday  21-Mar  
    PENNSYLVANIA CUP FINALS                
A W Norwin    E West Chester East    IceLine Saturday 26-Mar 11:00 AM

PENGUIN CUP SEMI-FINALS                
AAA   North Allegheny  1   Seneca Valley  2 RMU Island Sports Monday 14-Mar 6:30 PM
AAA   Pine-Richland 0   Peters Township 5 RMU Island Sports Monday 14-Mar 8:30 PM
    PENGUIN CUP FINALS                
AAA   Peters Township 6   Seneca Valley  2 UPMC Lemieux Monday 21-Mar 6:30 PM
    FLYERS CUP FINALS                
AAA   Malvern Prep  6   St Josephs Prep  1   Tuesday 22-Mar  
    PENNSYLVANIA CUP FINALS                
AAA W     E     IceLine Saturday 26-Mar 4:00 PM

Peters Township was pretty dominant last night despite a couple calls and missed calls that went in favor of Seneca Valley. The freshman #28 from Peters was the best player on the ice for either team. His skill and skating is impressive. He was on a line with a sophomore #18 and they completely took over the game when on the ice together.

Edited by RJUSHL

5 minutes ago, RJUSHL said:

Peters Township was pretty dominant last night despite a couple calls and missed calls that went in favor of Seneca Valley. The freshman #28 from Peters was the best player on the ice for either team. His skill and skating is impressive. I believe he was on a line with a sophomore #18 and they completely took over the game when on the ice together.

surprised ppe hasn't grabbed this kid yet.  he is really good. why stay with that subpar shaha team. kid could go anywhere and be an impact player 

13 minutes ago, PUCKCOVID19 said:

surprised ppe hasn't grabbed this kid yet.  he is really good. why stay with that subpar shaha team. kid could go anywhere and be an impact player 

Seneca Valley was trying to line him up all night and just couldn't do it. Very deceptive skater.

21 minutes ago, PUCKCOVID19 said:

He used to play for PPE Gold and it is my understanding he and others were demoted to the Black team  after the 2018 season ( when they had black and gold teams ) to make way for out of state players - word is he and others declined the Black placement and moved on.

Check out this roster - it is a "who's who" of players let go by PPE in favor of non-local talent, and most are doing just fine away from PPE.

https://www.pittsburghpenguinselite.com/roster/show/3381888?subseason=402512

Edited by fafa fohi
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 5:37 PM, Rancho1 said:

I think so. Didn't Ringgold beat your beloved Esmark superstars that were playing in this fake division a few years ago?

I have no idea what age group you are speaking of or game.  Esmark is far from beloved by me - it’s just the only real tier 1 Option in western pa after PPE. 

looking at this years Greensburg-Salem tournament it appears ringold got hammered by everyone from A & AA that participated in the tournament. Ringold finished winless. Ringold also lost in this tournament to a AA team that went winless during the pihl season! that alone should tell you enough about the level of play as the classifications go up. 

On 3/18/2022 at 9:12 PM, Novos51 said:

Ahhh…there it is. Coop hockey sucks guy. Shame we don’t live around a large urban area with lots of hockey. 
Just an FYI. We beat Cathederal prep in non section games twice and McDowell about a month ago. 
Want to grow hockey? Quit treating the areas that have to work hard to field teams like second class. 
I guarantee Canevin, Ringgold, Wilmington and Neshannock would have held their own in Single A. 

Read my above post about ringold playing in the Greensburg-Salem tournament this year. Sure some of those teams could hold their own against some A teams but they couldn’t compete in AA or AAA. there is massive jump in team speed, skill from d2 to the AA & AAA class. Having 2-3 decent players, or in the case of your team, a good goalie - doesn’t cut it up there. 

congrats on winning the “d2 championship” - they don’t even call it that penguins cup for that classification.  

1 hour ago, Danner27 said:

Read my above post about ringold playing in the Greensburg-Salem tournament this year. Sure some of those teams could hold their own against some A teams but they couldn’t compete in AA or AAA. there is massive jump in team speed, skill from d2 to the AA & AAA class. Having 2-3 decent players, or in the case of your team, a good goalie - doesn’t cut it up there. 

congrats on winning the “d2 championship” - they don’t even call it that penguins cup for that classification.  

You can bite me. We won what was in front of us. No one said we could compete AA/AAA like in any other sport. Makes you wonder if you want hockey to grow outside of other areas. We took a garbage dump rink that you couldn’t even play Bantam or above because the boards were bad and invested 3 million dollars into it. Added six or so pahl age group teams andtwo varsity/JV/middle school programs. Both of those school teams at least played in the semis in the last few years and Neshannock won back to back. 
You may now return to peering down your nose at us non-Penguin cup teams that hustle our asses off to have programs. 

• Like 3

PENGUIN CUP FINALS                  
AA   Thomas Jefferson  6   Franklin Regional  5 UPMC Lemieux Tuesday 22-Mar 6:30 PM OT
    FLYERS CUP FINALS                  
AA   Pennridge      Council Rock South      Tuesday 22-Mar    
    PENNSYLVANIA CUP FINALS                  
AA W Thomas Jefferson    E Pennridge    IceLine Saturday 26-Mar 1:30 PM  

31 minutes ago, RJUSHL said:

Congratulations to Neshannock. The kids should be proud of their championship.

For sure!  Started out slow but improved all season and ran the table at the end Won 13 in a row.  Started the season 2-6. Awesome coaching job to keep the team together and win back to back championships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hockeyisgreat said:

With some of the PIHL championship games a sellout isn't it time to consider moving them to PPG.  Maybe sellout the lower bowl.

Would be a great environment for those kids that worked so hard all season.

Great idea in theory, but I don't see them selling out the lower bowl. The atmosphere of the completely packed house in Cranberry is really cool to see. It was SO loud in there for the Norwin/McDowell game. 

• Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, forbin said:

Great idea in theory, but I don't see them selling out the lower bowl. The atmosphere of the completely packed house in Cranberry is really cool to see. It was SO loud in there for the Norwin/McDowell game. 

I'm sure it was great but the game was sold out well in advance!  How do we grow the sport if we can't get more spectators?

• Like 1