Midam/USA hockey decision on hockey

17 minutes ago, Scooby Doo said:

Already there is a push by local teams to go play tourneys in Ohio due to whats happening here in WPA.  If the PAHL shuts down, this will probably happen big time.

At that point, not sure how much people will care about the games being under MIDAM and usa hockey.  It will be a fiasco.

You could play those same games here at alpha or ice castle, they are just not sanctioned games. The games won’t count towards district playoffs or tier 2 national bound teams. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saucey said:

This is what everyone keeps missing. USA Hockey and MidAm are the enforcers, not PIHL and PAHL. And I don't suggest everyone lies about how many kids are on the ice, as @hockeyisgreat seems to suggest everyone should do. Dear lord, this small hockey town can't keep anything a secret, let alone expect that level of cooperation. Bad idea. 

No one is really able to play a full game at any level in any nearby state, except in Ohio. This insistence that you can in Pa is crazy.

Nothing on the national level in hockey is a secret let alone the local level. Why do you think the king deleted his account and wanted his posts taken down ? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saucey said:

This is what everyone keeps missing. USA Hockey and MidAm are the enforcers, not PIHL and PAHL. And I don't suggest everyone lies about how many kids are on the ice, as @hockeyisgreat seems to suggest everyone should do. Dear lord, this small hockey town can't keep anything a secret, let alone expect that level of cooperation. Bad idea. 

No one is really able to play a full game at any level in any nearby state, except in Ohio. This insistence that you can in Pa is crazy.

Absolutely not suggesting that anyone lie about how many people are on the ice.  I just want to understand how MidAm/USA Hockey knows who to sanction and who not to. Because obviously teams are playing with full rosters in western pa.

1 minute ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Absolutely not suggesting that anyone lie about how many people are on the ice.  I just want to understand how MidAm/USA Hockey knows who to sanction and who not to. Because obviously teams are playing with full rosters in western pa.

Going to catch someone's attention eventually. Didn't someone post on here Alpha got fined? And get any hockey we have shut down. ?

6 minutes ago, Saucey said:

Going to catch someone's attention eventually. Didn't someone post on here Alpha got fined? And get any hockey we have shut down. ?

Alpha was open before Rinks were allowed to be open.  Check livebarn on Saturday at rinks around the area and see how many teams are playing with full rosters.  We haven't heard of any teams or organizations shutting down because of Covid outbreaks. This all is very annoying! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Saucey said:

Whose attention is it going to catch.  Wolf?  Is he going to send the State Police to shut down a hockey game and then fine the organizations of the teams playing?  Will he be able to fine out of state teams and organizations?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Whose attention is it going to catch.  Wolf?  Is he going to send the State Police to shut down a hockey game and then fine the organizations of the teams playing?  Will he be able to fine out of state teams and organizations?

The Allegheny County Health Department is a bit closer.  The rink is going to get the most backlash.

Maybe it slides if there is no outbreak.

But do you really think that is not going to happen? 

I hope.

8 minutes ago, Saucey said:

The Allegheny County Health Department is a bit closer.  The rink is going to get the most backlash.

Maybe it slides if there is no outbreak.

But do you really think that is not going to happen? 

I hope.

Why would the rink get backlash?  Their responsibility ends with renting the ice.  They don't tell you how you have to use the ice. Just seems to me that there is no mechanism to enforce the mandates as they stand now. 

• Uh, Ok 1

1 hour ago, miked said:

sorry, a little cryptic, do you mean THEE bill? so all this discussion was for not and we can play full rosters in PA now? 

One of the bills, what hockey people really need to pass is HB 2832 - good luck getting the dems to flip on that! It raises the indoor limits to 50%. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Why would the rink get backlash?  Their responsibility ends with renting the ice.  They don't tell you how you have to use the ice. Just seems to me that there is no mechanism to enforce the mandates as they stand now. 

I'm sure that prick thats one here spewing his BS (we will call him Ken). Ken spewing about the virus. I be the tried to get things shutdown, seems to fit his agenda very well.

13 hours ago, Danner27 said:

One of the bills, what hockey people really need to pass is HB 2832 - good luck getting the dems to flip on that! It raises the indoor limits to 50%. 

Here is the text of HB2832: https://legiscan.com/PA/text/HB2832/2019

I am not an attorney or a legislator, but HB2832 doesn't specifically mention sporting venues. In particular, the bill refers only to usage of inside seating in such venues. I guess I think that ice rinks could be interpreted to fall under the definitions in the bill, but would this bill override the specific Sports section of Wolf's diktat? I don't know that I think that HB2832 is any more applicable to amateur or club hockey than the bill allowing schools to determine if sports will happen. I have been wrong before, though.

Honestly I cannot help but feel that they need to introduce a bill that specifically addresses the unique nature of ice rinks, especially with respect to hockey operations. We've been going on too long already with some rinks claiming that, despite the existence of a specific sports rule, they interpret the rules in some way or another that contravenes the sports section. It would be nice if one of these bills just said "A single sheet of ice may have up to 60 on ice/bench participants, with up to 60 spectators in the standard seating of the arena, provided they comply with CDC recommendations..." Where we are now, with rinks interpreting the rules to their advantage in obviously erroneous ways, is just going to get us totally shut down.

All this despite the evident lack of scientific or logical order to the requirements. And the lack of necessity of the requirements at all.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

The petition that was circulated by North Pittsburgh needs to get into the hands of our legislators and be circulated to all the Hockey families throughout the state. If it has thousands of signers it would be hard to ignore.  I think they are close to 2000 now.

PAHL & PIHL should be distributing it.

Edited by hockeyisgreat
added text

32 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

The petition that was circulated by North Pittsburgh needs to get into the hands of our legislators and be circulated to all the Hockey families throughout the state. If it has thousands of signers it would be hard to ignore.  I think they are close to 2000 now.

PAHL & PIHL should be distributing it.

Over 1800 signatures so far...

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/increasing-the-number-of-persons-for-indoor-sports

6 minutes ago, sarampage said:

Thanks for posting it again.  I posted it on Tuesday and didn't get a single comment.  I would think that if all the people on this board are so passionate about Hockey they would have acknowledged signing it.  Let's go FOLKS!   Sign it and pass it on to your friends.  Don't have to be Hockey families.

2 hours ago, Lifelongbender said:

Here is the text of HB2832: https://legiscan.com/PA/text/HB2832/2019

I am not an attorney or a legislator, but HB2832 doesn't specifically mention sporting venues. In particular, the bill refers only to usage of inside seating in such venues. I guess I think that ice rinks could be interpreted to fall under the definitions in the bill, but would this bill override the specific Sports section of Wolf's diktat? I don't know that I think that HB2832 is any more applicable to amateur or club hockey than the bill allowing schools to determine if sports will happen. I have been wrong before, though.

Honestly I cannot help but feel that they need to introduce a bill that specifically addresses the unique nature of ice rinks, especially with respect to hockey operations. We've been going on too long already with some rinks claiming that, despite the existence of a specific sports rule, they interpret the rules in some way or another that contravenes the sports section. It would be nice if one of these bills just said "A single sheet of ice may have up to 60 on ice/bench participants, with up to 60 spectators in the standard seating of the arena, provided they comply with CDC recommendations..." Where we are now, with rinks interpreting the rules to their advantage in obviously erroneous ways, is just going to get us totally shut down.

All this despite the evident lack of scientific or logical order to the requirements. And the lack of necessity of the requirements at all.

Two owners of rinks mentioned to me this is the bill that needs passed for hockey. HB 2787 does ZERO for hockey. 

13 minutes ago, Lifelongbender said:

I agree on HB2787. I'm not sure if this HB2832 helps or not, but I'm all for passing it.

Wording seems directed to restaurants, breweries and event venues.  I’m not sure it helps but it can’t hurt

However, things still in USAH/MidAms hands.  They have to reverse their directive

10 minutes ago, Guru said:

Wording seems directed to restaurants, breweries and event venues.  I’m not sure it helps but it can’t hurt

However, things still in USAH/MidAms hands.  They have to reverse their directive

I don't think its USA Hockey. They have left it up to the districts to make the call. From the website: "As USA Hockey continues adapting to the coronavirus situation, the safety of participants always remains our top priority. USA Hockey will sanction hockey for the 2020-21 season and medical experts have confirmed that with taking appropriate precautions, it is indeed safe to play hockey today."

8 minutes ago, forbin said:

I don't think its USA Hockey. They have left it up to the districts to make the call. From the website: "As USA Hockey continues adapting to the coronavirus situation, the safety of participants always remains our top priority. USA Hockey will sanction hockey for the 2020-21 season and medical experts have confirmed that with taking appropriate precautions, it is indeed safe to play hockey today."

If it was MidAm and USA Hockey then Ohio wouldn’t be able to be having games like they are. 

16 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Why are there no comments on this?  Where are the people saying I signed it?  Come on folks. These petitions given to the right people can be powerful things.

I signed it, too, but do we really want 100 comments here saying that people signed it? This board is already overwhelmed with random comments. I, for one, don't want to wade through those.

Just sign it and don't brag about it here.

• Like 1
  • 100 1