Jump to content

North Catholic/Excel Hockey


Recommended Posts

2006 “Pittsburgh” Penguins Elite OHL/USHL/WHL draftees/tenders are from:

California, Michigan, Michigan, Florida, Ottawa, California,  Nova Scotia, Pittsburgh (now with Barons?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, stickboy said:

2006 “Pittsburgh” Penguins Elite OHL/USHL/WHL draftees/tenders are from:

California, Michigan, Michigan, Florida, Ottawa, California,  Nova Scotia, Pittsburgh (now with Barons?)

Exactly my problem with PPE, who claim to be in it to build hockey in this area.  Back a while ago when my daughter's team was the first PPE team to medal at Nationals, 2/3rd of the team were from a significant distance from PGH and never practiced.  Practices usually had around 6-7 ladies on the ice.  Most out of towners would show up for each tourney without practicing at all with the team, and play.  There was no strategy, no work on special teams, nothing.  Just show up and play.   Most of the local girls who went to all practices, played on the 3rd and 4th lines no doubt due to the "deals" to get the other out of town players on the team.

And this was after one of the big shots in the org told the parents only 3 spots will be for out of town players... LOL

Nothing much has changed with PPE since that time.

Edited by Wes
  • 100 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

so you all want PPE to only take pgh kids when all of the other top teams pick from all over? ya makes a lot of sense to pick from a very small pool.

Edited by hockey2020
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, stickboy said:

Why not?  The money coming in would be the same. 

they would lose reputation. with a small pool, there is less talent. all top aaa teams go wherever they can find talent. they don’t only pick from local kids nor should they. if your kid is local and good enough he will be on the team but they will choose from far and wide. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was the reputation and level of competitiveness an issue in years prior to the the influx of imports?  I recall teams at all ages being competitive nationally from early on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hockey2020 said:

so you all want PPE to only take pgh kids when all of the other top teams pick from all over? ya makes a lot of sense to pick from a very small pool.

Or, hang on to the 3 kids from Pittsburgh who got picked up.  That don't play in Pittsburgh. On top of a number of kids who still are likely to get chances.... it's only going to get worse. 

Edited by Whoosh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't beleive the Peters kid didn't get drafted.  Arguably the best 06 in area.  This just validates that where you play matters.  I doubt many people went to see SHAHA AAA.  He might have had a few looks at the HS level.  I'm just blown away by this.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, HSFBLJ said:

I can't beleive the Peters kid didn't get drafted.  Arguably the best 06 in area.  This just validates that where you play matters.  I doubt many people went to see SHAHA AAA.  He might have had a few looks at the HS level.  I'm just blown away by this.

I don't think it's all that surprising. I do not know the kid, but where you play makes a huge difference, especially today. Years ago tons of hornets and Jr pens were noticed because they were legitimate AAA teams. Now every age has 5-10 "AAA" teams, which causes all of them except the top to lose interest from scouts.

And he certainly wouldn't have had any looks at the HS level. Don't know that anyone would ever consider looking at PIHL for players. HS hockey here is great for the social aspect, but not really something to help advance on hockey...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HSFBLJ said:

I can't beleive the Peters kid didn't get drafted.  Arguably the best 06 in area.  This just validates that where you play matters.  I doubt many people went to see SHAHA AAA.  He might have had a few looks at the HS level.  I'm just blown away by this.

if he was in the Chicago Minnesota or Detroit market he would have probably been drafted. All the faux AAA has killed this area for talent. its to spread out. 

 

  • 100 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, HSFBLJ said:

I can't beleive the Peters kid didn't get drafted.  Arguably the best 06 in area.  This just validates that where you play matters.  I doubt many people went to see SHAHA AAA.  He might have had a few looks at the HS level.  I'm just blown away by this.

He has got attention and will likely go play Junior hockey later, he need to get stronger, he is not ready yet and will likely be tendered in the NAHL in 2 years or a pick in the phase 2 ushl draft in the future. 95% of these kids drafted in the chl tier 1 leagues "OHL, WHL, Q" and USHL Phase 1 will not play next year and only a couple will get called up to skate a game or couple games for there team. To get drafted at this age is a trophy and says you put in the work and we see some potential, but lets see what you can do. Add to the fact that every D1 college player that played in the last 2 years now has an additional year of eligibility causing fewer opportunities for kids to move up  and will take a couple of years to work it way through, I saw yesterday Penn State added 4 kids for next year, 3 are transfers from other D1 schools and only 1 from the USHL. Look at the 05 PPE kid that was drafted last year and is going to BU, I think he played 2 or 3 games for Youngstown and he has decent size and skill to play in the ushl. Lot of Phase 1 kids get redrafted, look at the Barons Goalie that went in the Phase 2 yesterday, he was drafted by Youngstown in the Phase 1 a year or 2 ago and just went to Waterloo I think. Lots of hockey to still be played and opportunity.. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2022 at 4:34 PM, hockey2020 said:

they would lose reputation. with a small pool, there is less talent. all top aaa teams go wherever they can find talent. they don’t only pick from local kids nor should they. if your kid is local and good enough he will be on the team but they will choose from far and wide. 

But can't/don't they develop kids or do they have to recruit kids others developed?  If they just have to recruit and not develop players it would make me question paying so much to play there.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, mrfreeze said:

He has got attention and will likely go play Junior hockey later, he need to get stronger, he is not ready yet and will likely be tendered in the NAHL in 2 years or a pick in the phase 2 ushl draft in the future. 95% of these kids drafted in the chl tier 1 leagues "OHL, WHL, Q" and USHL Phase 1 will not play next year and only a couple will get called up to skate a game or couple games for there team. To get drafted at this age is a trophy and says you put in the work and we see some potential, but lets see what you can do. Add to the fact that every D1 college player that played in the last 2 years now has an additional year of eligibility causing fewer opportunities for kids to move up  and will take a couple of years to work it way through, I saw yesterday Penn State added 4 kids for next year, 3 are transfers from other D1 schools and only 1 from the USHL. Look at the 05 PPE kid that was drafted last year and is going to BU, I think he played 2 or 3 games for Youngstown and he has decent size and skill to play in the ushl. Lot of Phase 1 kids get redrafted, look at the Barons Goalie that went in the Phase 2 yesterday, he was drafted by Youngstown in the Phase 1 a year or 2 ago and just went to Waterloo I think. Lots of hockey to still be played and opportunity.. 

Somebody is definitely in “the know.”  lol. 

Edited by fafa fohi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, HSFBLJ said:

I can't beleive the Peters kid didn't get drafted.  Arguably the best 06 in area.  This just validates that where you play matters.  I doubt many people went to see SHAHA AAA.  He might have had a few looks at the HS level.  I'm just blown away by this.

Lets be realistic.  Just because you put up stats in PIHL AAA doesn't mean a thing as PIHL hockey is not that great.  Additionally he lacks size as well which will be a ding against him his entire career.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, HereWithPopcorn said:

Lets be realistic.  Just because you put up stats in PIHL AAA doesn't mean a thing as PIHL hockey is not that great.  Additionally he lacks size as well which will be a ding against him his entire career.

Relax - the kid is in 9th grade and since when is 5'10  at that age "lacking size" - kids add weight and bulk in their HS years. Have you bothered to look at his AAA stats outside of PIHL?  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tomato/tomoto-NA/PT/SV/PR/TJ/FR are all very good teams.  I don't see the drop off between those teams and the other AAA teams in the area.  I would go so far as to say those teams beat all but 2 of the AAA teams in the area.  I don't have to justify what  kind of numbers the kid has put up.  If he was playing in the PIHL A division then maybe you could make the argument your making.  I don't see him as undersized at all, strength wasn't an issue either.  SMH

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HereWithPopcorn said:

Lets be realistic.  Just because you put up stats in PIHL AAA doesn't mean a thing as PIHL hockey is not that great.  Additionally he lacks size as well which will be a ding against him his entire career.

A 5 ft 98lb 06 from Shattuck St Marys was drafted.  I know he is the exception.  Plus the kid put up some great numbers for SHAHA AAA last year.  Just thought he might go at the end of the draft.  Same with a couple PPE kids. I guess it is true that you have to move away from here to really get noticed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Strength and size are still very, very important. But the game is changing. Exhibit A - Guenztel. If the game continues to move away from the goonery to skill, it opens up a little more for the super skilled small guy. Not by much, and the game hasn't decided what direction it wants to move to. And....those junior levels are still incredibly rough. A guantlet still to run.

Connections, money, where you play. Luck. Few opportunities. Yep, it matters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Saucey said:

Strength and size are still very, very important. But the game is changing. Exhibit A - Guenztel. If the game continues to move away from the goonery to skill, it opens up a little more for the super skilled small guy. Not by much, and the game hasn't decided what direction it wants to move to. And....those junior levels are still incredibly rough. A guantlet still to run.

Connections, money, where you play. Luck. Few opportunities. Yep, it matters.

So if you had a kid who really wanted to play Juniors what would you do?  He needs to reach his own conclusion that he isn't good enough and won't be!  But what if he is willing to do everything necessary (don't know what that is) to try?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

So if you had a kid who really wanted to play Juniors what would you do?  He needs to reach his own conclusion that he isn't good enough and won't be!  But what if he is willing to do everything necessary (don't know what that is) to try?

Get an agent! I don't know why you don't like or appreciate that advice...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Saucey said:

Get an agent! I don't know why you don't like or appreciate that advice...

Pretty sure @hockeyisgreat is trolling haha. 700 posts on this site but keeps saying the same things and asking the same questions.

Edited by RegDunlop7
  • Like 1
  • Fist Bump 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HSFBLJ said:

Tomato/tomoto-NA/PT/SV/PR/TJ/FR are all very good teams.  I don't see the drop off between those teams and the other AAA teams in the area.  I would go so far as to say those teams beat all but 2 of the AAA teams in the area.  I don't have to justify what  kind of numbers the kid has put up.  If he was playing in the PIHL A division then maybe you could make the argument your making.  I don't see him as undersized at all, strength wasn't an issue either.  SMH

I think you are drastically overrating the level of play in local HS.  This isn't MN or MA...

  • 100 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Saucey said:

Strength and size are still very, very important. But the game is changing. Exhibit A - Guenztel. If the game continues to move away from the goonery to skill, it opens up a little more for the super skilled small guy. Not by much, and the game hasn't decided what direction it wants to move to. And....those junior levels are still incredibly rough. A guantlet still to run.

Connections, money, where you play. Luck. Few opportunities. Yep, it matters.

well to be fair, guenztel has been mr irrelevant since 2018 when it comes to the physical playoff hockey. up until tuesdays game.. taking nothing away from him as a player, or his toughness, but when it comes down to crunch time he really hasn't done much other than the 1st 2 years back in 17 and 18.. hopefully his numbers pick back up this year. 

 

553676674_ScreenShot2022-05-05at12_32_18PM.png.bc17461b4b53e2f3f176b42f94b7df00.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t know who the kid is but - 

you can’t develop or teach size. 100 players with same skill set, the biggest will always get the opening unless politics are at play. 

real junior hockey is a serious mental & physical grind. 

nobody is scouting shaha. Even at districts, those scouts already know who they are going to watch. Kids already in their conversations. Kids that are under certain advisors. 

Good luck to him - if he does have the skill set his parents need to get him to PPE or out of western pa. 
 

yes, these days it does matter who you are paying such as an advisor. 
 


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

I don’t know who the kid is but - 

you can’t develop or teach size. 100 players with same skill set, the biggest will always get the opening unless politics are at play. 

real junior hockey is a serious mental & physical grind. 

nobody is scouting shaha. Even at districts, those scouts already know who they are going to watch. Kids already in their conversations. Kids that are under certain advisors. 

Good luck to him - if he does have the skill set his parents need to get him to PPE or out of western pa. 
 

yes, these days it does matter who you are paying such as an advisor. 
 


 

“If he does have the skill set his parents need to get him to PPE or out of western PA.”

Really?  He was at PPE along with a solid group of players that were cut and left for greener pastures - some are now on teams that beat PPE handily over the past few years and no longer have to deal with their BS.

So much for your beloved PPE for player development.

https://www.pittsburghpenguinselite.com/roster/show/2134684?subseason=255778

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...