2022 - 2023 Pa Hockey Top 5 Rankings - High School

There was a player for NA last night that PIHL shows only played 4 games during regular season. I saw NA 4 games during the regular season and this kid didn’t play in those games. My question is, did PIHL make a mistake and didn’t list all the games he played? Or are the rules different for AAA than they are in AA? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

There was a player for NA last night that PIHL shows only played 4 games during regular season. I saw NA 4 games during the regular season and this kid didn’t play in those games. My question is, did PIHL make a mistake and didn’t list all the games he played? Or are the rules different for AAA than they are in AA? 

They allow exceptions for injured players - maybe that was the reason he missed so many games - the team would have to fill out paperwork, doctors notes etc and get approval from the league 

Edited by powderfinger
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, sarampage said:

I could be wrong, but I think they can also count games played for the JV team.  The player you're talking about was called up because NA was down a few players.

Combination of JV and  Varsity Games count and special requests for injuries as well

19 hours ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

The pihl does NOT make mistakes!  Don’t be ridiculous.  (That’s complete sarcasm by the way)

• Like 1
  • ROTF 1

On 3/14/2023 at 10:54 AM, fafa fohi said:

Peters looked pretty dominant against NA last night and neither of their top scorers had a single point.  It shows the depth this team has and I would not be surprised if they repeat as state champs.  

I agree.  Pretty wild to think their Head Coach fired for "poor performance".  Then was rehired and won states, and is now in a decent position to do it again.

16 hours ago, PUCKCOVID19 said:

Armstrong owns SF. and if it wasn't for BC forfeit SF wouldn't have made it. 

The only thing you own are delusions of grandeur pal. SF split with Armstrong this year, and knocked you out of the playoffs last year. 

Edited by Ty Tassol

1 hour ago, Seejay784 said:

So now with the Finals set, are we going to start the annual complaint that UPMC Lemieux is too small to host the finals?

So not really about the size of the venue, but having back to back championship games in a rink that basically has 1 way in and 1 way out is a nightmare.  The first 1,000 people are trying to leave the early game - or if you are the winner, you are hanging around for pics, etc. and the other 1,000 people are trying to get in to watch the next game and it's all happening through basically 1 entrance/exit with a 10/15 minute window  - it's a nightmare and the same problem exists at RMU for the semi's.  Tensions were running a little high in the stands last night at the change of games and it is probably a recipe for disaster at some point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seejay784 said:

So now with the Finals set, are we going to start the annual complaint that UPMC Lemieux is too small to host the finals?

Atmosphere and Venue at Lemieux is great !

Ultimately Site needs to hold 1500 for Penguins Cup and 1000 for States. PPG is not in the cards ? So where else ? Rostraver ? Alpha ?   

Both great facilities but RMU is a better atmosphere in my opinion. PIHL does a great job & should be praised for the great job they do. It's very hard to understand why they do not get more credit for how well they operate. Anyone that remembers the SHIHL, WHIHL era will agree. It's easy to complain when you have no part in something but nothing productive happens & quite honestly it accomplishes very little. 

It would really be something if PIHL would promote a "game of the week" and have those games played at RMU or Lemieux.  Maybe make those a Friday night game instead of a Thursday night game.  I'm probably wishing here, these kids deserve to be playing in front of a crowd if possible.  

32 minutes ago, HSFBLJ said:

It would really be something if PIHL would promote a "game of the week" and have those games played at RMU or Lemieux.  Maybe make those a Friday night game instead of a Thursday night game.  I'm probably wishing here, these kids deserve to be playing in front of a crowd if possible.  

This is a great idea. Once football season ends, Friday nights would bring more fans. 

With the added exposure through the streaming added this year I think showcasing a game if the week is a great idea. I have noticed this year there is more people coming to the games. Would be great addition to what good things already added.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Puck01 said:

With the added exposure through the streaming added this year I think showcasing a game if the week is a great idea. I have noticed this year there is more people coming to the games. Would be great addition to what good things already added.

Pick one of the rare 7 PM games and people may cane out to watch. This is a good idea. Wouldn't it be nice to build high school hockey to Minnesota State levels. ?

11 hours ago, Ynot02 said:

Yes, Friday nights create school-travel conflicts. This can be mitigated by going to a split season. School hockey will always be the lesser option in this area as long as the current model is in place. 

Split season hockey won't work until a lot of other stuff is fixed, unless high school hockey takes the summer for their part of the split season. The two biggest reasons are the high school season is way, way too long and most schools in the area don't have high school hockey. You can't have 6 months of the year, August to April, where there is no Amateur hockey for 16u and 18u (and maybe even 14u).

Years ago, in Buffalo they tried to go to a split season, and that's in a place where there were lots of fully-funded high school teams. The reaction was the rise of about elevendy billion junior teams, which did not have to adhere to the split season schedule. Build a better mouse trap, I guess.